Elmo ST-180e <Vs> ST-1200D ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Elmo ST-180e <Vs> ST-1200D ?

Looking for honest options to help me sleep at night. Although I’ve recently discovered the forum, I’ve been a Super 8 enthusiast for 30+ years. I’ve accumulated an extensive collection of projectors and films, however there’s been a splinter in my mind I can’t remove: should I pull the trigger and purchase an Elmo ST-1200 to round out the collection? My go to projector for Super 8 is the ST-180e. It has a nice edge to edge picture, runs quiet, and is kind on film (not kind as the 2000H). I have the opportunity to purchase a ST-1200D that needs belts for $200 locally. It has all the accessories and is very complete. Is it worth buying this projector and fixing it up when I have the 180e? Please help, thanks!

Steve Osborne has a belt set for Elmo st 1200 for $39.99 just type in the Reel Image Super 8 for his list

Comment

Also the lamp in Elmo St 1200 150 watt and takes a 1200 feet Reel I have one they are very good Projector buy it and enjoy

Comment

Brenden
        You say it's an Elmo ST-1200D.
        My opinion is to wait until you can find an Elmo ST-1200HD. It's a much better projector than the D model. And at $200, plus money for new belts, it's not cheap.

Maurice

Comment

What's the main difference between a D and an HD model Maurice? If you want a projector for mono sound only, does the HD offer any significant advantages? I'm asking as I have the 1200D myself, and plenty of other stereo projectors.

Comment

John
            The HD model is twin track and suitable for mono and duo. But, of course, it's not suitable for stereo.
            Click below to see the details of this model.
            super 8 database, elmo st 1200 hd (filmkorn.org)

Maurice

Comment

The HD can provide stereo via an external amp, as can any machine that offers a seperate line out for each track. The HD features only a mono inbuilt amp and controls/ speaker outputs for mono sound only. So if you nead an easy stereo solution, ie just linking a pair a speakers to the projector, a stereo machine is what to go for. I own two HD's and one MO and can recommend any one if you are happy with mono sound. You get 1200' capacity and 150w bulb. Unusually, I play back stereo prints in combined mono anyway for better overall clarity, but do use an external amp for every projector I own.

Comment

Many thanks to Martin for advising on connecting for stereo output.
                I must admit I had completely forgotten about this facility. I have no stereo prints, so it's never been an issue which I would have needed.
                I stand corrected.

Maurice

Comment

Working...
                X