No announcement yet.

What were they thinking?!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yes Lee, I have the 200ft of Plan 9 it is a very good souvenir and possibly one to watch more often than the feature 😀

Comment

Yes, the Mountain 200' Plan 9 digest is a nice cutdown and the box art is fun... But as soon as I found the Red Fox 5 X400' feature my Mountain 4 X 400' version went right up on Ebay!

Comment

I had the ALIEN Ken films 200' Color SILENT reel with a cassette soundtrack. WOW What a disappointment. It ends after the chest burster runs off the table. What the heck!

Comment

If anyone wants to improve the sound on the 200ft of plan 9 its pretty much a complete sequence to dub and so easy to do.
          The mag stripe is also good quality.

Comment

Okay here are two more - what I would call terrible edits - I could have done much better putting together a 400 foot digest ...

M*A*S*H - No THEME SONG!!! Just jumps right in with terrible narration to the football game which takes on almost the entire reel and then tacked on is the famous shower scene - and then it just ends - with a "THE END" title card - black lettering over a white background - what ?!?!

BUTCH CASSIDY & THE SUNDANCE KID - Okay. Again with terrible narration - not needed at all. No Kathrine Ross. No good music scenes. There is some good dialogue present though but at the very moving end with the freeze frame - you get a quick shot of it - MORE TERRIBLE NARRATION followed by ONE second of "THE END" title card - black lettering over a white background.

Of the two BUTCH would be easier to get into digest form I think. M*A*S*H is very episodic and just needs good choices for what to include. Would love to take a crack at these two. Ha!

Comment

Some have referred to the 200 of 'Plan 9', but no one has mentioned the 400', so perhaps this is harder to find. It's one of the shortest 400' releases I've ever seen, lasting only around 12 minutes, but I was glad to find something that's a bit longer than the 200'.

Comment

I have a red 4x400' version of BLOOD ON SATAN'S CLAW which, despite its length, still manages to be a total disaster. The company that released this (help me here) liked to cut as much as possible from the front end of the feature, and did so here, plopping us down after the credits right into the incomprehensible middle of a sub-plot. Later things start to make more sense, so they choose to cut out one of the best scenes in the film: Angel's attempted seduction of the priest.

Comment

Unfortunately Blood on Satan's Claw was an early Derann release before they got Keith Wilton and other film editors to work on the films. I believe read that in those days they cut out the "sexy" scenes as they thought collectors were only interested in the horror parts.

Comment

Could I suggest the 400ft Bridge On The River Kwai as one of my most disappointing cutdowns? I have a few Columbia releases with the narration but Kwai has the most irksome (often unnecessary) narration and not a terribly well edited digest. Despite this, I'm still looking for the Scope version if anyone has one to sell! Lawrence Of Arabia was a bit of a mangled mess too! I'm familiar with the feature yet still struggle to follow the cutdown

Comment

Originally posted by Oliver Feld View Post
                      Steve
                      Do You know That this beloved scene is included in the marketing film cutdown?
                      It’s in letterbox and the cut is different to the Derann cut, but the banana gag is included.
                      Oliver I have been in super 8mm collecting world for almost 30 years but I just knew and saw that Marketing's release Mad, Mad, Mad world. This must be super rare similar to the other Marketing releases' the Final Countdown and Grease 2.

How is the color?

Comment

The color is brownish, but some colors are still visible. I also own 2 scope prints from Derann: one is colorful, one is red. I am sure that there also will be colorful marketing film versions out there

Comment

I will also put this here --- SWEET CHARITY - great music and dancing. Universal 8 400 foot digest. But, for some reason does not include the song IF THEY COULD SEE ME NOW which is a show stopper and why I purchased the movie. Boy. Was I surprised.

Comment

I just picked up a 400 foot Marketing Films release of the GODFATHER This appears to be printed on polyester stock and is definitely low-fade. But the cover of the box has Sonny Corleone being dispatched at the toll booth. Famous scene for sure.

I watched the movie. That scene is completely missing in this release. The editing is a bit choppy in the beginning but once Michael is in charge we get the restaurant killing and the baptism sequence. The movie ends with Diane Keaton looking at Al Pacino through a door as they shut it on her. No end titles but I don't know if they were originally there or perhaps just weren't included in this release. Nice print with decent color but - WHAT WERE THEY THINKING?

Comment

Okay. Just picked up a Universal 8 400 foot digest of FRANKENSTEIN.

Not a terrible edit - but - the iconic REVEAL scene of the Monster is completely missing. But, then, they include about a minute of professors streaming out of a meeting with Edward Van Sloan at the beginning which clearly does not need to be in there. Strange.

Comment

Working...
                              X