Sankyo 2000h trouble playing 400' films

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sankyo 2000h trouble playing 400' films

Hey Team! I have a Sankyo 2000h that has trouble playing 400' films; towards the middle of it, 200'-ish mark, I have to manually turn the pick-up reel a bit to keep it going. When I start rewind with the full reel on the front supply reel, that has trouble getting going and I have to manually turn it for a while. I opened the unit, the belt looks good. It just feels like the reel holders don't have that much... muscle! Any ideas? Thanks.

Without seeing the projector running it's hard to diagnose what's causing the problem. However...check to see that the grub screws for the pulley to the motor shaft are tight. Also put some pressure on the motor belt to see if that helps. The belt may look ok...but is too loose and slipping. If you haven't run this projector in awhile you can also add a few drops of oil to the motor and see if that helps.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Sankyo2000h_fan-grub-screws.jpg Views:	0 Size:	90.8 KB ID:	3028

Comment

Can't say for the front reel, but I remember that the take-up reel clutch ass'y is quite picky (as most sprocketless projectors are). A slightest misadjustment or dried lubricant would throw this delicate thing out of balance and end up as weak/jerky take-up action, or no takeup at all.
      May need to take a good look there as well.

Comment

Thanks for the tips; I don't think it's the main belt; it's pretty tight and spinning fine; seems powerful. It's the take-up reels that are weak; you can stop them from spinning easily, and the more weight on the reel (like from a 400' film), the more trouble they have. I think it's good for 200' and below lol. That criss-cross belt inside looks ok too. Really confusing. I fear it's something hard to fix, like those old Elmo K-100SM's that have spindle replacement parts on Van Eck that they 3D printed (which is helpful). All old projectors develop "something"... I was hoping the Sankyo would only need a lamp or main belt if something happened, as this was a very clean unit; but not the case. I was plowing thorough movies, cataloging them, I guess I'll put this one aside and deal with it later. It's interrupting my hobby of actually watching old films heehee! I have like 4 projectors to repair now once I whittle down my movies piles. Thanks Team!

Comment

Hi John,
          There's an adjustment screw/nut on the back of the take-up reel assembly. I believe this can be adjusted to allow the take up reel to have more torque when film is loaded. I would try to adjust this screw. Not sure if the screw/nut needs to be tightened or loosened. I'm sure someone here could enlighten you on that. I think Janice may have had a thread about this adjustment some years back? Also I would take the main belt off and clean the pulleys. My hunch is that screw/nut assembly is the issue or why there isn't enough torque to drive the larger reels. Here's a photo to show you where that screw/nut is located.
          Shane
          Click image for larger version  Name:	film_148_Dualux 2000-H_1512738805566.jpg Views:	0 Size:	91.0 KB ID:	3054

Comment

Oooh Shane, thanks! I didn't notice that last night; that sounds like a great place to start!

Comment

Your welcome! Let us know how you make out. As I stated earlier it sounds more like the take up reel assembly needs adjusted. However a belt change or cleaning may also help.

Comment

Probably what I've guessed.
                As I posted earlier, this is quite a delicate adjustment. You'll need JUST BARELY ENOUGH TORQUE at full 400' reel. Too much torque will cause problem at first run when take up reel is quite empty, of course.

Comment

Ok here's the status: that screw doesn't really turn; it's solidly tight along with the nut. So I loosened it a bit, but that didn't seem like a good idea once I did; and you can't tighten it. Or are you saying, loosen the nut a bit not the slotted screwdriver part?
                  Current symptoms are:
                  • When you turn it on to Forward for the 1st time, it is kind of slow. Slower than it should be. Then I turn the speed up, and it starts running well and I can back it down during the first reel.
                  • I think it's the rear take-up reel functionality that is the problem; I think the front one is ok. The rear reel/spindle can't handle even 200' films; it gets weak about half-way through.
                  • I got this as one of my 1st projectors from a guy who only sells refurbished Sankyo's (by his own hands lol), so I know the belt and everything was addressed inside. I really haven't used it much since buying it. It was going to be my "special projector" back then, but since then, I got a really nice Canon (Thanks Shane!) and realize the Sanko is a good workhorse, but not so pristine. So I'm working them as I go through my stacks of films. I have 4 Sankyo's lol; 2 now have problems; all different
                  • So back to this one, whatcha think? Do you have any information on how to adjust properly the rear take up reel assembly?
                  • and thanks!

Comment

John, in my initial comment I didn't address adjusting that screw until other causes could be investigated. In the old forum archives you'll find a thread I wrote addressing that screw to loosen the tension on the take-up reel. The focus of this adjustment was in regards to reducing jitter of film in the gate. I don't know if this is a solution for your problem...however the screw can be turned. There is usually a green adhesive painted on the screw to lock the position applied by the manufacture. The adhesive can be scraped away. You might need to use a pair of pliers to hold the nut while you turn the screw head with a screw driver. However...again I would leave adjusting this screw as a last resort. Perhaps the real expert on this projector, Dogtor Frank Arnstein can be reached to inject some of his knowledge. I will PM him.

http://8mmforum.film-tech.com/cgi-bi...c;f=1;t=009280
                    Last edited by Janice Glesser; January 29, 2020, 02:13 PM.

Comment

Thanks so much Janice! It is fun learning about these! But it does get in the way of me Time Traveling back in time; i.e. watching old movies! : )

Comment

Working...
                      X