Elmo GS1200

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Elmo GS1200

Good afternoon fellow enthusiasts, Does anyone on here know how to get the front covers off an Elmo GS1200. I have got a copy of the device manual and it shows some screws from inside the back of the projector, but I'm blowed if I can find them. Any help would be appreciated.
    Many thanks and stay safe.

Clive

Hi Clive, and welcome to the GS1200 ! There are 3 covers altogether, the front hinge-down cover, the back cover, and the amplifier cover( with the 2 level meters an knobs).
    The front hinge-down cover is removed by simply removing the little screw pin located at the bottom right next to the film cutter. Simply remove the pin, pull the cover forward slightly to clear the back pin and carefully pull out.
    The back cover is removed by two screws. The speaker connector is wired from the back cover to a plug in connector on the main board. Simply pull the speaker connector out from the socket on the board.
    The amplifier cover is then removed by unscrewing two bolts located inside the machine at the top right and bottom right when looking into the back of the machine. Use magnetic screw driver to avoid loosing these into the bowels of the machine - this is essential, if you drop a bolt or washer into the machine you may have to do a complete tear down to get it out.. There is also a recessed bottom screw on the bottom front side of the amplifier cover which also holds the amplifier cover in place. The knobs all pull off and there is a wired plug for the level meters which just pulls off from a socket on the back amplifier board..
    Last edited by Paul Adsett; March 21, 2021, 03:23 PM.

Comment

Clive, Paul provided an excellent reply and I will add to it, from a novice perspective, as with you, I found it hard to locate the screws holding the front cover in the service manual diagram. When doing this follow Paul's steps. Pull off the 2 volume nobs and tone control nobs. A straight pull force should do it but if they are really stuck use a plier but wrap the nob with a cotton cloth or wipe so it doesn't scratch. If the black plastic insert comes away from the nob that is okay because you can glue it back on t the silver nob then remove the hinged front cover as Paul described. Locate the first screw to remove the amp front cover. Looking at the cover you want to remove look directly below the machine itself and you will find a single Phillips head screw. The first of three to remove to remove the Amplifier or Front cover. Remove this one first.
      then remove the back cover as Paul described.
      Yes the back cover has a wired speaker connection but don't worry, just grasp it and pull up. After the back is removed, it us best to lay the projector down on it's front on any type of support. I use a couple of books for example as not to bend the switches. With the rear

Comment

Cover removed you will locate the other 2 screws needed to be removed fromto remove the front amp cover The first one is just under the mounting bracket of the take up motor.a Phillips head, medium. The look directly south, to the bottom of the machine below the main circuit board. Below eveything there it is.that is where they are. The screws cone out easy but the 2 on the inside have washers, long tweezers or needle nose pliers will get tham...that about it for pointers..Good luck.

Comment

Look at this video where I take apart the covers and the amplifier unit.

Comment

Great video Patrick, thanks for making and sharing.

Comment

Really good video Patrick 👍

But there are SO many screws to undo that I'd be afraid of not knowing which one went where or remember exactly how to put everything back again correctly! 😯

Comment

Excellent video by Patrick, definately needs to be copied to the Technical Archive Section of this forum. Only thing I would change is to remove the amplifier module totally off the projector before starting the removal of the peel off label plate and all those tiny knurled rings and plastic washers. Also spray the associated contact strip at the interface of the main mother board in the projector, and also spray the contacts of the little brown plug at the bucking coil/sound head area.

Comment

Hi Paul, being a newbie: where is the Technical Archive Section? Where can I find it? Then I can post the video and some other Elmo videos.

Comment

I would think it is the top, sticky, post in this section of the forum https://8mmforum.film-tech.com/vbb/f...ase-contribute.

Comment

Working...
                    X