Elmo GS1200 rattle noise when stopping forward playback

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Elmo GS1200 rattle noise when stopping forward playback

My recently acquired Elmo GS1200 has started a quirk: in around 50% of cases when stopping FWD playback there is a ruffle or rattle sound for about 1 second.
    inspecting the opened backside I see it has to do with the flywheel and the small small wheel that drives on it.
    Any suggestions as to what could be wrong and how to fix? Thanks!

Hi Patrick!
    Don´t worry about this. If you press the fwd Button without any Film in the Machine the Flywheel is getting slower and slower. When you press stop now the little rubber wheel makes this rattle noise when turns the Flywheel on again.

Comment

Another normal noise when starting or stopping a GS1200 is the rattle of heat shield moving in and out - also a normal GS1200 noise.

Comment

Thanks everyone! Great to read that I need not to worry about this and indeed this is happening without film in the machine.

Comment

While we’re at it: I am checking the recording functions of the GS1200. Is it normal that when you feed audio into the aux in and press the red record button with the spot recording switch enabled, the audio that is heard through speakers is relatively soft in volume? Then when also pressing FWD, so going into recording, and then stopping recording the sound is really loud? So the monitoring with the red recording buttons is softer in volume than without?
          Any comment appreciated.

Comment

My own most precious and late GS1200 in the production run has always done this. Its good to know you have a late produced machine :-)

I cured the design problem by putting some small metal washers on the mount for the flywheel idler wheel. In doing so the only thing you fix is the noise for the second or so but it does fix it. I would leave the machine as is unless it bothers you. MK3's are a wonderful projector.

Comment

Hi Lee, what are the different marks of the GS1200? and how to distinguish them? How can I determine the mark version of my particular machine?

Comment

Originally posted by Lee Mannering View Post
                My own most precious and late GS1200 in the production run has always done this. Its good to know you have a late produced machine :-)

I cured the design problem by putting some small metal washers on the mount for the flywheel idler wheel. In doing so the only thing you fix is the noise for the second or so but it does fix it. I would leave the machine as is unless it bothers you. MK3's are a wonderful projector.
                Hi Lee,
                I now sold my first two GS1200s, of which the second one didn’t have any of the above mentioned issues (I guess in hindsight I shouldn’t have sold it…). I now acquired a Mark 3 machine but it does have two issues: the rattling noise when stopping playback. And a on and off issue on the channel 1 record button.

on the rattling noise: where exactly did you put the washers? Why does that fix the issue? Tx in advance!

Patrick.

Comment

It's very difficult to explain what I'm about to say but stay with me. When looking at the drive mechanism for driving the flywheel it should be noted that when the machine is in the stop mode the lever on the left which lifts the roller on and off the flywheel should have the roller lever floating about halfway in its slot. The position of this is adjusted by the position of the rubber roller assembly where it's held onto the machine body with the 2 screws. Another point is that the rubber roller should have a light coating of grease on it. It shouldn't be dry.
                  I shall be doing a 2 blade shutter upgrade in my non xenon machine in the next few days so will take some pics.
                  The difference in volume from the speakers as noted above by both you and Lee is normal and can be eliminated by using headphones. I always use headphones when recording with the GS1200.
                  Last edited by Kevin Faulkner; April 23, 2023, 04:45 PM.

Comment

I have attached 2 pics showing how that lever is not touching the bottom of that slotted lever which lifts the roller when running as explained above and the 2 screws for adjusting the position. As I said above it's important that the rubber drive roller does have some lithium grease on it. Hope this helps with the rattle.Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1846.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	100.9 KB
ID:	79079Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1847.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	92.5 KB
ID:	79080

Comment

Working...
                    X