Buster Keaton's Cops ....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Buster Keaton's Cops ....

I'm just curious, didn't Blackhawk rerelease this with some extra footage, about him having something to do with going in and out of a building?

Hi Osi,

Do you mean at the very end when he locks all the cops inside the building, meets his girlfriend who dumps him and then he goes back inside to throw himself on their...tender mercies?

Comment

Pretty sure thats in my 16mm Blackhawk copy, if that is the bit you mean Osi.

Best Mark.

Comment

No, it's earlier in the film.

Comment

What that is, and Griggs contained this, was the goat gland sequence...when he rides the wagon along and sees the horse is so slow, he stops on a place that has get-up and go items...fellow in there sells him a goat's gland which will bolster the animal's energy...again, Griggs-Moviedrome had this in Single-8, theirs being a complete neg....how outfits like Griggs managed to get hold of such materials, amazing...No, Blackhawk did not gave that segment...could be a license issue...Shorty

Comment

IIRC, the Blackhawk print appeared possibly (to me, at least) to be a Killiam-sourced print, but that's just conjecture on my part. It wasn't until I saw KINO's version that the goat gland section was put back in. There's a noticeable difference in picture quality during that sequence, which leads me to think there were multiple source prints of this PD title floating around. Also, I think the KINO version retained Gaylord Carter's score from the Blackhawk sound edition.

Comment

I can personally vouch for Blackhawk having released the "goat gland" segment, as I just screened my super 8 sound print. It does say on the title card, "Blackhawk, in association with Killian Shows", and the "goat gland" sequence is there but the image quality is not as good as the rest of the reel, being a little "dupey". I do love that original "The End" title card, with Buster's trademark hat on the grave stone. I'm betting that I his was a later, 80's release by Blackhawk?

Comment

Originally posted by Osi Osgood View Post
                I can personally vouch for Blackhawk having released the "goat gland" segment, as I just screened my super 8 sound print. It does say on the title card, "Blackhawk, in association with Killian Shows", and the "goat gland" sequence is there but the image quality is not as good as the rest of the reel, being a little "dupey". I do love that original "The End" title card, with Buster's trademark hat on the grave stone. I'm betting that I his was a later, 80's release by Blackhawk?
                ----
                That's probably the case. Mine dates back to around 1974, and I think it was a used copy then, so no telling how old it was. Blackhawk was well-known for announcing upgrades/restoration of missing footage.

Comment

Working...
                X