Projector lighting HID and Halogen

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Projector lighting HID and Halogen

This is not really a scientific experiment but after the show I threw the lighting from one of my Elmo GS1200's alongside my Eumig modified HID lit projector.

Both projectors have 2 blade shutters to max on light output. The Elmo had a new Elmo ESC genuine lamp in and the Eumig HID 150.

Here is a snap off screen.

Left is the Elmo with 200watt ESC lamp Right is the Eumig HID

Click image for larger version  Name:	LM HId.jpg Views:	0 Size:	24.3 KB ID:	31410

Colours are not perfect from my mobile so allow a little latitude but I found the picture quite revealing.

I also measured a increase of light to screen over 25% with HID in the Eumig also noting the Elmo has the better F1 lens in the the little Eumig F1.2

Eumig HID lit open frame off screen fully open lens.

Click image for larger version  Name:	LM Eumig.jpg Views:	0 Size:	39.9 KB ID:	31411

Interesting piece of fun

The HID lamp wins hands down. It's really bright.
    Xenpow HID 150w Lamp – DJ Supplies Sound and Lighting Ltd

Comment

B&W films must look stunning with that amount of light and the much more suitable color temperature.
      I'm saving up!

Comment

I have a Bell & Howell 644 converted for the Xenpow HID 150 lamp and films do indeed look stunning. Even colour faded films seem to have a new life.

Comment

Very true Maurice indeed they do and the era of my dads favourite Bell & Howell.

My old Carry on and Hammer prints have suddenly become watchable and from nostalgia reely wonderful to see them looking reasonable again.

I spent ages focusing the HID lamp on my first conversion to the millimetre and surprising what a difference 1mm can make.

In truth I do feel HID is a new dawn for film projection at home and does feel perhaps a bit more professional.

Comment

Amazing comparison Lee, I can only imagine what the 2- blade HID Eumig would look like with an f1.0 prime lens installed, like the Kodak Ektar, probably set the screen on fire! If you keep this up I can feel the urge to try a HID conversion myself!

Comment

The colour temperature of the Xenpow HID 150 is 6500 degrees Kelvin.
              The colour temperature of the ESC 24 volt 200 watt lamp is 3400 degrees Kelvin.

That is why the Xenpow is so bright and white.

Comment

I`ve never seen a HID in action in person, they sound really good, if a little more trouble than a Halogen, it does sound its worth going for.

Be good if a filmie youtuber did a GS1200 say demo of one Halogen and one HID with both colour and B+W to see a good comparrison.

Best Mark.

Comment

HID lighting is the way forward to ensure our prints are well illuminated on screen. I converted my trusty Kodak 8 some years ago, also increased the size of the lens barrel , now I use a f1.1 Eumig prime , the results are stunning.
                  John

Comment

As the French say, "Quel difference!🤔 (And it literally just occurred to me that the comparison resembles the French flag!)😂

Comment

Originally posted by William Ferry View Post
                      (And it literally just occurred to me that the comparison resembles the French flag!)😂
                      The French flag is blue-white-red (bleu-blanc-rouge, if you prefer), not red-white-blue

Comment

I was thinking it had more of a Spumoni feel...

Comment

Took me a bit to work that out Doug but funny .. similar and a bit like Neapolitan ice cream

The focusing of the HID was REELY time consuming on the first machine I converted but now common place as is my conversion of the humble Eumig. I'm pleased to report exports of my machines have been far afield as Australia and arriving intact. Not boasting but I get a huge satisfaction 50 years on from my first reel Eumig seeing others enjoy the screen illumination and audio improvements I've made to the hand bag sized light weight machine.
                          My own Eumig HID and loved Elmo GS1200 HID usually sit side by side, one for STD 8 and the other for S8 Stereo being the best of pals. 😎 Oh and that big Elmo spool capacity.

My goodness how wonderful is REEL film on any gauge.

Comment

This is quite astonishing. Can you supply a few details? Or can you supply the elements to perform such a mod on any projector?

Comment

Hello Maurizio. I'm only converting and servicing Eumigs from my own collection having collected many over the years. It's been a good way for me to upgrade my Eumigs and move on to experienced hands looking for higher performance on a lightweight machine.
                              Eventually when orders stop I'll list them for sale but at the moment I still have machines to complete.
                              It takes me a good few days to fully service, part dismantle and carry out the conversion but its a thorough process not just a bolt on.

Comment

Working...
                              X