• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ghost of Frankenstein super 8 400 ft

Was this ever a legit release by universal 8

Number 4015

Comment

'The Trial of Frankenstien' and 'Frankenstien's new brain' were 200ft excerpts from it in sound and silent versions but I don't know of anything else on 8mm other than the standard 8 (regular 8) feature that I used to own.

Comment

If anyone has a catalog look to see what 4015 is their films used used item numbers to identify titles if it’s a different number the film I’m looking at has been Frankensteined.

Comment

On the old forum from the list of U8 titles I printed off number 4015 is THE MUMMY"S GHOST. I have a 400' version of House of Dracula that is the 2 castle 200' versions put together and someone was clever enough to make a U8 cover for it that looks real (it's not) but it looks great.

Comment

Here's a link to the Universal 8 400' list that Bill mentioned. Universal 8 did not put out a 400' version of Ghost of Frankenstein. Classic Home Cinema did release the full feature on Super 8.

Comment

The Standard 8 feature is great but just a couple of minor cuts. Derann and worth having. I think Perry's printed it for them on std8.

Decades ago a uk film mag did a piece of editing the two 200ft reel correctly as nothing really ran in sequence. The other problem was one of them was quite soft so it stood out in the edit. Mines is very old now but the old Wurker spliced have held out.

Comment

That’s what I thought the seller claims it’s genuine with no splices.

Comment

Heres one on Ebay

Super 8 Film - The Ghost of Frankenstein - Universal 8 - B/W/Sound #4015 | eBay

Comment

Does say FRANKY'S NEW BRAIN on the leader and looks like a splice joining them together in the pictures. It was reported in a UK S8 magazine decades ago the only way to generate a 400 was to join/edit the 2X200 together, but as mentioned one 200 is rather soft so does stand out in the edit.

Comment

If you look at the photo of the spool enlarged, I think around 6 splices can be seen, and it's possible that not all are visible. Also, the listing says "The Ghost of Frankenstein aka Frankensteins New Brain", which must be the seller's attempt to explain the "New Brain" title appearing at the start! I must say that someone went to a lot of trouble to make the box look authentic, but I've never seen Universal box art that uses a montage of images like that for any particular film.

Comment

Using original lobby cards for the cover like that is a really nice idea. Certainly more interesting than the rather bland covers that were put out for most of the universal 8 classic monster releases.

Also, I think the seller mentions that it's 'AKA Frankenstein's New Brain' because that's the title that whoever put this edit together has had to use and obviously doesn't want a buyer to be disappointed when they see it.

The two sound titles crop up on sales lists and ebay quite often. I sold both my sound versions several years ago but still have the silent version of 'Trial'. I wouldn't look to pay much more than £10 to £15 each for good copies of the sound versions.
                        Last edited by Gary Sayers; April 15, 2021, 05:57 PM.

Comment

I think to put together the two 200' digests in the correct order you need to move a few things around. So it appears that this is possibly edited together in the correct sequence to match the original film. You can't just connect the 2 digests together....well you can but they will be 2 separate stories.

Comment

Correct. I have watched both 200 ft versions - TRIAL OF FRANKENSTEIN and FRANKENSTEIN'S NEW BRAIN - you would definitely need to shuffle around the scenes to get them into the correct order - that would actually be a fun project. But you hate to create new splices where there were none...

Comment

When I did mine a very long time ago now I used the near invisible Wurker 2 frame joins a film makers dream splice.
                              The problems are one 200ft is rather soft so once you edit the correct sequence moving the burning and more to the correct order print deficiency does show regretfully but it does still make a good reel particularly if you add the trailer at the start.

I got a handful of new prints from a uk dealer years ago then the Derann feature on std 8 which did have some edits tho.

I'm not alone in saying this is Lugosi's finest character effort hence wanting to put it all together. It's a shame we didn't see the quality of the other b&w universal's here but that's 8mm distribution at the time. I still love it of course..

The best to edit on Uni 8 was certainly Son of Franky. You can edit in nearly 50% of the 200ft reel into the 400 and it makes a reely great film.

Comment

Working...
                              X