No announcement yet.

CineSea 22 in Pictures!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Saturday (The part with projector light…)

-and so, we met for Saturday Night Show once again!

This is the one that started it all! In early years, when we were looking to gather the crowd (other than to eat…), it just seemed the natural thing to have a film show. -but where to get the films from? The answer is basically “anywhere and everywhere”! Over the years, we’ve had samples of new releases, we’ve had some loaner prints shipped in by friends of CineSea and most of all, we, the crowd out in the seats have brought our own. For the most of us that have home-sized screens, we never appreciate the potential in them. On a large screen, with a bright lamp, a sharp lens and a great sound system they can finally stretch their legs and show us what they can do!

It’s Saturday night after dinner time, and the crew back at the projectors is primed for action. Up until well after a normal bedtime they’ll be threading up, running films and then rewinding them: all the while maintaining who owns what so they get back to their rightful owners! Tonight, as with the last few years, they are taking turns running Super-8, 16mm and 35mm.
    Click image for larger version  Name:	thumbnail_IMG_4040.jpg Views:	0 Size:	134.8 KB ID:	32876

(It’s a job that should come with a bar stool!)

We started out by remembering Terry Bange, who passed away at the end of last year. He brought the first 35mm Friday Night feature: House of Wax in 3D at CineSea 17 along with Dave Baker. People like Terry have made Cinesea better by introducing new possibilities that may have seemed impossible years before. I'd like to remember him here by showing him in action, doing what he loved to do!
    Click image for larger version  Name:	thumbnail_IMG_6364_Terry Bange.jpg Views:	0 Size:	267.7 KB ID:	32877

Now we were ready for the first film:

-and here comes the opening pitch!

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_3115.JPG Views:	0 Size:	83.1 KB ID:	32878

Seeing this wonderful Super-8 print is quite a treat! Because of its sharpness and Doug’s newly HID equipped GS-1200, some in the crowd asked if it was 35mm!

We went Bollywood courtesy of Mike Lattavo:
    Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_3116.JPG Views:	0 Size:	53.3 KB ID:	32879

We had a surprise event Saturday night. It started out special enough: There is a cinema presentation titled CinéMagique at Disneyland in Paris. In this film, Martin Short plays an audience member who ruins the show with his Cell Phone jabber and as punishment gets pulled through the screen into the world of the movies. On his strange journey he finds himself below decks in Titanic as seawater comes flooding up the passageway, then he finds himself fighting storm troopers in Star Wars. Before the end he is shot with an arrow by Kevin Costner in Robin Hood, but it’s his phone that takes the hit. There is exactly one film print (16mm) of this and Tammy T. brought it for us all to enjoy.
    Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_3142 (2).JPG Views:	0 Size:	80.6 KB ID:	32880

-now you see, that would be enough, but as a surprise she also invited Jerry Rees, the director of CinéMagique to talk to us about the adventures he had making the movie! (-talk about new possibilities!)
    Click image for larger version  Name:	thumbnail_IMG_4035.jpg Views:	0 Size:	310.9 KB ID:	32881

-as I’ve said, bringing one of your own prints to Cinesea can be quite rewarding. A few months ago I was watching my Blackhawk Bored of Education and I said “Of Course!”. This one would be great on the big screen.
    Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_3118.JPG Views:	0 Size:	61.9 KB ID:	32882

-Alfalfa Sings!

We also got to see Dave Baker’s fine The Curse of the Werewolf.
    Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_3134 (2).JPG Views:	0 Size:	68.1 KB ID:	32883

-and so it went on until after midnight. We usually count heads after the last reel, and it’s consistently something over a dozen plus the projectionists: this time was no different! I can’t speak for anybody else, but I sleep very well Saturday nights at CineSea!'
    Click image for larger version  Name:	thumbnail_IMG_4030.jpg Views:	0 Size:	36.5 KB ID:	32884

Last edited by Steve Klare; April 24, 2021, 08:28 PM.

Comment

Terrific write up Steve!

This is where I try to remember what we screened......

ABC Daysets
      Film Office super 8mm promo reel (including John Wayne dubbed in French)
      Captain Blood trailer (Errol Flynn)
      Ride 'Em Cowboy trailer (Abbott & Costello)
      Air Raid Wardens/Nothing But Trouble trailers (Laurel & Hardy) Canterbury Films
      Banana (Minions)
      Patton - Opening Speech (Ken Films)
      Bored of Education (The Little Rascals) Blackhawk
      One Man Band (Pixar) Derann
      Angora Love (L&H) Blackhawk
      That's Entertainment III trailer Derann
      Easter Parade trailer
      Cheek to Cheek (dance sequence from Top Hat) Walton
      Pan American Clippers Blackhawk Newsreel
      The Curse of the Werewolf (200' digest)
      The Godfather (Marketing Films 400' digest)
      Trog (Ken Films 200' digest - silent print with sound added)

.....and that's just in Super 8mm!

Thanks to Shorty Caruso, Greg May, Steve Klare, Todd Tuckey, Joe Griesbach, Michael Lattavo, Stu Fink, Gerald Boss, Lou & Louis Franchetti, Ed Gower, Tammy T., Levi Reid, Geoffrey Curtis and Evan Samaras for bringing such great films to show on Saturday. I apologize if I've forgotten films and contributors.

Comment

Thanks, Doug!

There were so many it became easy to forget some of them.
        Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_3132 (2).JPG Views:	0 Size:	76.3 KB ID:	32941

-it's only natural, I guess. This show draws from the combined collections of many long-time collectors: it could be from many thousands of films.

(So far, we don't seem to be running out!)

Comment

There was also a 16mm color print of the Three Stooges short "No Census, No Feeling"!

Comment

Yes! I can only keep track of the super 8mm stuff....and just barely at that. There were lots of interesting films in 16mm and 35mm. We'll have to do better at keeping a record!
            There was that animated film from The National Film Board of Canada that involved characters of different shapes (circles, squares, triangles) fighting each other. I recall a Pink Panther cartoon from Joe G. in 35mm and also part of a Wildwood documentary. Shorty's 16mm reel had the original opening of Chiller Theater, a Twilight Zone promo and the Walton Abbott & Costello release Pinch Me Please. Evan brought back Carts, which was the hit of the last show, for a repeat 16mm scope viewing. Stu had a reel which included a wonderful Jack Gilford Cracker Jack commercial (Lip-smackin’, whip-crackin’, paddy-whackin’, knickin’-knackin’, silver-rackin’, scoundrel-whackin’, cracker-jackin’ Cracker Jack) and a Diver Dan TV segment from the 1960's!

Comment

Congratulations on the great write-up and pictures Steve as always you have done a fantastic job - for someone who's yet to get to a CineSea in person (but still hoping to one day 🤞) I always look forward to reading the these posts 🙂

Comment

Sunday

Sunday is a brief day, and a busy one. The hotel rooms have to be emptied and checked out. CineSea itself needs to be taken down as if it was never there, but we did have time to go back to the Marvis for Breakfast.

-Let us not forget: for most of us there is several hours of driving and emptying out and putting away ahead!

Some Taking Down Pictures:
                Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_E3138.JPG Views:	23 Size:	46.6 KB ID:	33174

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_3144.JPG Views:	23 Size:	118.7 KB ID:	33175

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_3140.JPG Views:	22 Size:	69.4 KB ID:	33176

-and there always comes that moment when it is all stowed away and we’re ready to head for the cars and back to everyday life. Two of us were talking about this and we said it was kind of like the Carol Burnett theme:

I'm so glad we had this time together, Just to have a laugh or sing a song
                Seems we just get started and before you know it, comes the time we have to say “So long”.

-Wait ‘til October: we’ll do it all again!

Comment

Steve,

Thank you for your evocative posts. CineSea is very lucky to have both you and Claus to tell the tales......

The middle photo of tables and boxes makes me grimace. It brings back that feeling of "There's so much to pack up and put away. This will take hours!". Luckily there is never a shortage of people who stay late, help wrap up and get all that stuff downstairs and in the car.

There are so many wonderful people that are part of the CineSea family. We had two newcomers, Joe C. & Levi, who told me how much they enjoyed the gathering and will definitely be back.

Speaking of returning, it's time to announce that CineSea 23 will take place the weekend of October 8th, 2021. We are all hoping that Covid restrictions will be gone by that point so we can get back to full strength and celebrate accordingly. Shorty, Lou and I are looking to do something special which could involve, among other things, starting the show a day earlier. I'll keep you posted!

Comment

Wonderful thread and nice to see everyone enjoying the wonders of REEL film.

Comment

Thank you Steve for giving us collectors that couldn't attend Cinesea a good picture of the activities and comradery that exists. The pics and the annotations always make me wish I could be there and also such a great opportunity to pickup some new titles to add to a collection.

Comment

Thanks, Janice!

You should know we'll set a special place at Uncle Bill's for you if you join us!

Comment

Working...
                        X