X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Complete Newbie to 8mm Elmo ST-600 Questions

Good Day and Hello,

This is my first post. Hello everyone.

A few days ago I came across an Elmo ST-600m at the local thrift store. It seems to be in pretty good overall condition so I decided to purchase it. I have never owned or operated an 8mm projector so this is a new gizmo to me and I am intrigued by it. It needs some maintenance. First things first is it needs new belts and a new bulb installed.

Question #1: How many screws hold the case together? It looks to me like only two screws need to be removed to crack open the case. I've removed those two screws but the case isn't budging so I want to make sure I'm not missing anything before I get a bit more aggressive in popping it open.

Question #2: I see flat belts and round belts are available to order for this model. Is there any benefit to flat over round or is it inconsequential?

Thanks.

Jasper

Jasper
    Yes. Only two screws. However, watch carefully as you go as the loudspeaker has a short lead terminating in a plug. Just ease off the cover slowly.
    It seems that round belts are more favoured for this model.

Comment

Thanks Maurice!
      I did get the cover off fine and have installed a new bulb that is working nicely. I am receiving some round belts today in the post. Also I would really like to find a super 8 film with sound for not much monies to test this beauty out soon!

Comment

Maurice do you know the best way to troubleshoot the sound on one of these. I have the machine running now but the sound doesn't seem to be working so far. I purchased a short 3 minute three stooges film and played it last night. It was really fun running a film for the first time! There is only a hum coming from the machine though and nothing out of the headphone jack either so I need to fix that next.

Comment

Jasper

Does the film have a brown magnetic sound track?
          Is the track selector set at 1 or 1+2 not 2 only?

Some controls may have corroded. Do the following with no film
          Operate the following controls many times:-
          a) The record button below the meter
          b) The record control button on the left rear panel just below the speed selector.

Comment

Hi Maurice,

Perhaps it is a silent film? The film is not brown on the edges, it's clear.

I did work the buttons you described some and will continue to do so. I tried 1, 1+2, and 2 settings when running the film.

I also tried a test with inputting sound through the aux input jack. I plugged my iPod directly into the aux input and there was no sound from the iPod passing through the speaker.

When I replaced the belts I didn't notice any capacitors that looked bad.

Comment

Jasper

I had thought that a short three minute Three Stooges film was unlikely to be a sound film. If there is no sign of a brown edge magnetic stripe then the film is definitely a silent film.
              Guide to types of cine film (transferhouse.co.uk)

I have found a cheap Super 8 sound film on American eBay at a Buy It Now price of $10, plus $3 postage. You might consider buying it.
              HUMOR - COUNTRY MUSIC STYLE 200ft Super-8 Color Sound film | eBay

Comment

Thanks for the link Maurice.

Any thoughts on no sound being produced through the input or one step at a time and try a movie with sound before fiddling about?

Comment

I suggest you wait until you have a Super 8 film with magnetic sound.
                  Some films do have an additional small "balance" stripe on the edge where the perforations are, this is to ensure films take up evenly on a spool.

Comment

Working...
                  X