Bolex D8L - exposure issues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bolex D8L - exposure issues

Hi there, I have recently purchased a 1959 Bolex D8L camera and am having trouble operating the methods described in the manual to get the correct exposure. When I apply all the necessary attributes to find my exposure index number and then apply that to the galvanometer setting dial which turns the red needle, it then tells me my last step is to alter the lens aperture ring until the other needle, the black one, is" exactly superimposed on the guide mark". I have tried a variation of different settings for each of my lenses and yet, when i turn the aperture ring, the black needle still does not move. Has anyone experienced this before or does anyone have any expertise that could help me to fix this problem. It could be that I am just doing something completely wrong. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Do you switch the selenium cell in by pressing down the lever at the front top?

Comment

Yes I have tried with and without doing this. I was even recommended to take the taking lens off with the selenium cell pushed in and point it to a relatively bright light to see if the needle would move and yet is still remained static.

Comment

You could always set the lenses's apertures manually if you have a separate exposure meter.

Comment

I had this model many years ago.The meter was always easy to use,superimposing those 2 needles,and the cell moving back out the way when you start filming.
          Did the cell work when you first got it? I suspect the selenium cell has worn out.

Comment

I do not have an exposure meter and i enjoy using the cameras built in light meter instead. I have only just received the camera from buying it online. It is supposedly overhauled but maybe it is a case that the selenium cell has worn out. Do you know if these are fixable/replaceable?

Comment

If the vendor sold it as "overhauled",it clearly isnt and you should get a refund. The whole point of the Bolex "D" series pocket cameras was the through the lens meter,which was a joy to use.

Comment

Buddy
                Bolex in Switzerland are still active and can supply certain spare parts and also service and overhauls.

About - Official Bolex International

Comment

Ok I have emailed Bolex international for a quote so hopefully they get back soon. In the meantime can i buy a separate light meter? Is my camera good to film with an external light meter despite its own light better not working?

Comment

Buddy
                    Here is a meter at a good price. It also includes cine frame per seconds.

1) Set your film's ASA or DIN speed on the meter
                    2) Point light meter at subject
                    3) Note number shown by pointer
                    4) Turn dial so number is at the V mark
                    5) Your aperture f number is now shown against the 16 fps speed
                    6) Adjust lens to the aperture shown on the meter

Leningrad 4 Exposure Meter | eBay

Comment

The camera will work fine,setting the exposure as Maurice suggests. I still think you have a case with the seller,if they sold it as fully overhauled.

Comment

Working...
                      X