Looking for some help using the GS1200 ESS from a PC

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking for some help using the GS1200 ESS from a PC

I know this topic has been covered quite extensively, but I am kind of looking for a more up dated version of how to sync my PC to the GS1200 ESS system. As most people know that any computer systems do not stay current for to long, so I am hoping that someone on here has done this procedure fairly recent and may be able to help me ( as in step by step ) of which is the best software to use,where to plug in the cables for best results etc. I currently use Adobe CC 14 but will soon be up grading that to probably CC17 and using Adobe Auditions for the sync pulse. Any help or suggestions on this would be very much appreciated.

Thanks
    Tom

Here's a thread from the old board:

http://8mmforum.film-tech.com/cgi-bi...1;t=001956;p=1

Hope this helps or at least get you started.

Comment

Hi Larry thanks for the link to the previous post I have read all them but was looking for something a bit more recent, the last post on that was nearly 5 years ago. But thanks again for the link.

Tom

Comment

Hey Tom,

I will do my best to give you a breakdown of my own set-up and procedure, which may be a little different than others.

MY WORKFLOW FOR RE-RECORDING ON THE GS-1200

1. First I need to capture a video of the film at 23.976fps.
        • Set up my Elmo GS-1200 and put it into ESS mode. Connect the 5 pin din from my Elmo projector to my computer.
        The only piece of software that I use for the re-recordings is Cubase (currently I am running version 10). One could probably use another program to get what they need. I happen to have Cubase on hand for music production, so it may not be the most practical purchase for ones re-recording needs. I'm sure something like Adobe Audition would work well too.
        • On the computer side: I create or upload a wav of the sync pulse needed to keep the projector running at 23.976fps. (23.976hz) (Run the Projector in ESS mode, and fine tune the controls so that the ESS needle is in the desired median).
        • On the leader of the film: punch a small hole in the middle of a frame that I can later use as a sync point. When threading the film, make sure that sync mark is not on, but before the projector's gate. We want to capture a video of the sync mark in motion.
        • Mount my trusty Canon EOS Vixia and set it to capture video at 23.976fps.
        • Start recording with my Vixia. At that point, if I press play on my projector, it should not run until I feed it the pulse sync from the computer. Feed it the pulse! Record Video!
        2. Next, Syncing Audio and Setting up for the re-record.

After I've captured the film at 23.976 fps, I need to align the audio and visual components.
        • I take the file from the SD card on my Vixia and load it to Cubase. On Cubase I start to sync the audio file from the film I want to re-record. That audio is usually ripped from a DVD. Once it is synced:
        • I find the frame on the video where I punched a hole. I then move my 23.976hz wav file to start exactly on the first frame of that hole punch in the video file.
        • At this point I start to add EQ and different forms of compression to control the dynamic range and frequencies of the soundtrack. (Considering the audio is coming from a DVD that is already professionally mixed and mastered, it's pretty good! However, I find that it can be improved upon when it comes to the S8 mag tape. You may go through some trial and error in getting what you want. If you search the older forum Brad has a post about recording the noise of the Mag tape in order to evaluate it's range of frequencies and make EQ adjustments before re-recording onto that mag tape. It may not be necessary, but it can make a difference to the audiophiles).
        • An added step might be to run the audio out and into the projector without actually re-recording onto the film yet. Do it without the film running, and fine tune the gain that you will want during re-recording. Make sure the loudest parts of your soundtrack aren't peaking!
        3. Re-Recording!

At this point we should have an audio file ready to go, synced with video, and a 23.976hz wav file that starts on our hole punch.
        I use an external sound card that allows me to use three outputs. This is useful when it comes to re-recording Stereo tracks. I can send out a Left Signal, a Right Signal, and a Pulse Sync Signal. When re-recording mono one can separate left and right, and use one pan for the audio track, and the other for the pulse sync.
        • I connect Mono cables from my sound card outputs into the Aux In in the back of the projector (I'm assuming you've done this if you properly tested how much gain you will need).
        • Then I thread my film. My goal is to align the hole punch with the gate. Just before the hole punch reaches the gate, I stop the projector, and depress the "STILL" mode on the Elmo's controls. This allows me to move forward one frame at a time, every time I press play. I look into the lens and move forward until I can see the projector's bulb shining right through the hole punch! Now we are sync'd!
        • The last step: Put the GS-1200 into record mode. Depress both controls and hit play. The projector should remain locked until you feed it a pulse signal by running your computer file. I've always found it helpful to start my audio and video files slightly after the start of the timeline, in order to give myself some time before the sync jump starts.

I may have missed a few sections, and if so, feel free to ask about the finer details. One last thing I would like to mention: You might find yourself switching between ESS and Normal mode to get the film threaded. Make sure you are switched into the correct modes for Recording the video file, as well as re-recording the audio file. These should always be in ESS. To make it easier, I just feed a pulse signal into my computer while threading, which means I never have to switch back and forth. I also suggest plugging in a pair of headphones to the Projectors output in the back. The Audio files can BLAST through the speakers during re-recording.

Good luck and have fun!

Last edited by Evan Samaras; February 07, 2020, 09:54 AM.

Comment

Thanks Evan or all the great info, would it be ok to send you a private message? as you seem to have a very good grip on how the procedure works
          Thanks Again

Tom

Comment

Hey Tom,

Absolutely. The grip I have on it is due to the help from the generous members of this forum. I’m happy to pay it forward!

Comment

Working...
            X