Flying the flag for Eumig

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Flying the flag for Eumig

I have been looking through the forum topics generally and it is apparent that Elmo projectors, particularly the GS1200 are the collectors favourite. What is also apparent is how their build quality is inferior to Eumig. The majority of entries on the forum focus on the need for replacement parts, belts, claws, film guides, motors, inferior hinge covers, cracked gears and on it goes. I have to say they do look impressive, and I know they are getting old now, but I have had a Eumig 807D and 802 for 43 years and have never needed to replace a part andl they still run like a dream. I do own an Elmo ST180M, but it gets light usage as the Eumig’s are so dependable. Are there any other Eumig fans out there? Particularly 800 series.

Happy screening.

Phil
    I have many Eumigs of the 700, 800 and 900 series, but my favourite is the 824 which has more than its forbearers such as a tone control and a high/low lamp setting.

Comment

"What is also apparent is how their build quality is inferior to Eumig".

you may need to check that out. The elmo 1200HDS and GSs are actually very well built and much more sturdier. We also have both Eumig and Elmos and while whe Eumigs are fine running projectors they always have problems with the drives.
      while i agree the Elmos can have their problems, if they they are serviced and worn parts replaced, they will give many years of trouble free service. All projectors have their ups and downs but i think if Bill Parsons read "What is also apparent is how their build quality is inferior to Eumig he'd be smiling loudly".
      Last edited by Tom Photiou; May 17, 2021, 09:52 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Phil Moors View Post
        It is apparent that Elmo projectors, particularly the GS1200 are the collectors favourite.

Whilst it is probably true that the GS-1200 is the collectors favourite, its probably true that there are more complaints on the Forum about its different parts.

But, not usually so with Eumigs, except the occasional posting about the two black drive discs.

Comment

Sometimes I think the greatest liability of machines like the ST-1200 and the GS-1200 is the "1200" itself. It makes extended play so much easier that it's only natural that these will be subject to more wear.

The classic ST-1200 problem is the guide where it goes under the bottom sprocket. These wear the sides of the "valley" down so film contact moves within frame. This started to happen to mine, I griped about it here and a very kind member sold me a new old stock guide for a fraction of what my sense of desperation could have gotten him. Here's the thing: the ST-800 guide in this location is identical, and I've never seen that kind of wear on one of those.

-and then again there is the complexity, particularly for the GS.

My own Eumig experience is one Bolex SP-80 Special, an 800 Series Eumig working under cover. It is a pretty solid machine: threads beautifully, never marks a film. Sound is pretty decent, once you suppress the hum. It's an old friend: my first sound machine.

A good friend of mine, who I met on this forum 18 years ago now, but since passed away would love this conversation! He was a staunch Eumig Man!

Comment

Phil

I put this video together a while back which I am sure you will like

Comment

I am not putting Eumigs down, as i said, between us we have four now, but in previous threads i mentioned that aside the 822 sonomatic, all of them have shown problems with slowing speeds from the day we bought the first one in 1974. They are are a decent quality machine but Eumig never got past the 800ft reel capacity nor did they improve that clutch design. As for the Elmo, again, if they are used and never serviced or worn parts replaced then they will of course mark the films. In 40 years of using Elmos alongside Eumigs and recently the Bauer, i find the build and (more importantly)the sound quality and light output far better. Just my opinion, and im talking standard not modified.

Comment

Despite the Eumig drive disc problem, I feel that the early 700 series were the best sound machines ever built, weighing in at 22 pounds (10kg) and built like small armoured tanks.

Theoretically one could accidently ruin quite a lot of film before a scratching problem was even discovered with a machine prone to wear on film guides, especially if the scratching occurs after the film gate. The scratch will not even be detected until the next time that particular film is shown again and if one ran other films after it, they too would be scratched.

I'll gladly take the Eumig drive disc problem, as opposed to worrying about worn guides and film scratches. So, I'm going to proudly continue waving that Eumig flag!

Comment

They are great little machines, but for me its Elmo every time, three 1200HDs for 40 years, aside two or three movies in all that time,mine have never scratched a film.those two were minor lines to the far right. All the films i have with scratches were recieved like it from second hand purchaes. The sound,light output and the 1200 reel size is my preference.
                  The one projector that put a big green line in one our new films was a b&h filmosound loaned to us as new from the shop when our eumig had to go back to johnsons of Hendon for the third time under warranty due to,yep youve guessed, slowing down.
                  I will add, the 822 sonomatic is a very good machine.its the only eumig not to give us any problems.
                  I,m not trying to put Eumigs down, we have them ourselves but 600ft reel capacity,(or 800) and endless speed problems unless you use them regularly, isnt for me.
                  Last edited by Tom Photiou; May 18, 2021, 05:21 AM.

Comment

I am an Elmo man through and through, but in saying that Bill Davison's of Bootlace Cinema fame from Movie Maker days, was once asked what projector he used for his film reviews, well to my surprise it was a Eumig. I can't remember the exact model he quoted, but it was one of the 800 series, his claim was it never scratched any of his films he reviewed.

Coming from that guy, those comments impressed me ,as far as the slow speed, well providing the motor mounts have not disintegrate, then the fix is straight forward. If you look at the above video I posted look closely at the lady fitting the motor, and what she does regarding the alignment of the motor to the discs. There are adjustments you can make yourself to obtain the same result as done at the factory. I did mention this including photos on the forum in the past, as a result of three little Eumig projectors that were running slow, those adjustments worked out great.

So now they are all working I am thinking of doing some kind of Cinerama type thing with them .

The one thing I don't like about the 800 series is the focus control, I can never get a smooth adjustment on those things, however I notice the earlier Eumig models had the lens rotating for focus. I wish they had stayed with that method it was much better.

What I think is amazing with so many film projectors and not just Eumig, is the fact that so many are still going considering there age
                    Click image for larger version  Name:	P1090702.JPG Views:	0 Size:	105.4 KB ID:	34624

Click image for larger version  Name:	P1090713.JPG Views:	0 Size:	136.6 KB ID:	34625
                    Click image for larger version  Name:	P1090715.JPG Views:	0 Size:	99.9 KB ID:	34626

Comment

I think the big problem here is we are using all of these machines, no matter who built them, well beyond any reasonable design life. Where's the car you drove in the 1970s? Where's the TV, the refrigerator, the dishwasher and the stove? Let's not go with the computer you had even 10 years ago.

If all of these machines weren't so well built, this hobby should have died out no later than 25 years ago.

My goodness, Graham! Can you even tell them apart?! (That's the joy of raising an only child: I can always remember which name is his!)

Comment

Steve

One is a 820 SonoMatic whatever that means, one other is a Mark 810D LUX, and the other Mark S 802. Eumig projectors were very popular out here in there day, they were everywhere much more than Elmo.

For the average person the Eumig projector fitted the bill, It was not as expensive as a Elmo, but for for those shooting some Super 8 family film they were ideal.

Comment

Not forgetting how old these machines are its amazing any of them are still going, gone are the days of plug and play, the films are not easily replaced now so that's a big part about being vigilant especially on the Elmo's, the GS is extremely complicated compared to most machines with lots of electronics, the ST less so, Eumigs dont normally have that many issues, soft heads on certain models and as mentioned the disc drive.

Reel capacity, light output, ease of cleaning are your preference ,Mark

Comment

As stated earlier, my Eumig, as well, has, to my knowledge, never scratched a film and, with brand new films in the hundreds of dollars a pop, the last thing you want is an immediate big nasty scratch on your print. I always have that worry with my ELMO, never with my Eumig. Therefore, the priority for me is not how "sexy" the build is, but how kind it is to my films as, in some cases, these are irreplaceable.

Comment

Im not going for the build, im going for the light output, decent quality high volume sound without hum and a 1200ft reel capacity. Reading all the items regarding scratching, i can only assume that not everyone replaced the green guides until after they wore out. I cant answer about the GS but as i undedstand, many modified parts to prevent scratching have been availible for these machines for some time. I fully get the Eumigs are very kind to film but i reiterate, in 40 years with over 450 titles, ive not had any serious problems with films being marked and using three different 1200HDs i think thats a pretty good record. If you check my screenshots on film reviews elsewhere you will see. Look through the super 8 database website.
                              Last edited by Tom Photiou; May 18, 2021, 07:46 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X