B&H 458z melted goo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• B&H 458z melted goo

Brand new to the forums but I have already found a ton of great information and now I'm looking for more. I have myself a Bell & Howell 458z Filmosound Dual 8 projector that is actually a family heirloom. I recently pulled it out of the closet that it was entombed in a very long time ago. It seems to be in pretty good shape minus the rubber parts. Belt has been replaced and a new feed tire is on the way. The latest issue I have found is that the old feed tire has done a great impression of the Blob all over the lens. In looking at how the lens appears to be installed I assume that the focus knob would move the lens closer to or further away from the film but mine is stuck thanks to the aforementioned goo. My question is, is this a pretty simple fix or is this the end of the road?

I had the same type lens stuck in a B&H projector a while back. You might try a mixture of alcohol and Goo gone to help loosen and remove some of the goo hopefully it will penetrate into the lens shaft. Try to wiggle it and loosen it to pull the lens out.

Comment

Awesome, thank you. Do I have to remove the focus knob/shaft first?

Comment

No. Pull the focus knob towards you while pulling the lens out. Mine was really stuck in the holder and it took me quite a while to get it out. I actually gave up several times but eventually was able to remove it.

I ended up replacing that lens with another lens that didn't fit as tight.

Click image for larger version

Name:	PXL_20210518_194039598.jpg
Views:	172
Size:	113.8 KB
ID:	34678

Comment

I didn't even know that knob would pull out like that. Thanks for the info. I have it soaking in Goo Gone. Hopefully that'll work. Thanks again!

Comment

Well after soaking for a couple of days and using a bit more brute force than I wanted to I was finally able to get that lens out and cleaned up. Thank you for the help.

Comment

Good news Tim! I know it wasn't easy...but you hung in there and did it. Hopefully the lens is still usable.

Comment

Working...
              X