Looking For Advice...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking For Advice...

I have a Super-8 print of Blackhawk's "Broadway Nights, Hollywood Days" (880-68-2807), and even though it is sound striped, the audio is missing 😥. I'm looking for suggestions on how I might acquire the soundtrack so I can re-record the audio.

Best regards,
    Frank

Try YouTube first, it's amazing how much stuff really is on there. If not there, perhaps someone on the forum here might have a sound copy and make an audio file of the soundtrack for you.

Comment

Thanks for the feedback Osi !

I guess great minds think alike. I tried mining YouTube and some of the other (PD) streaming sites and came up empty handed. No problem though, that will only make the hunt that much more interesting. If all else fails, I'll get in touch with Rich Little...

Frank

Comment

Sent you a pm, Shorty

Comment

Thank you Shorty !

I sent you a PM. Let me know if it doesn't show up...

Frank

Comment

You might wish to check the internet archive as well! Best place for a good link in Yahoo. Type in "official link to the internet archive", and the first link it provides is the right one.

Comment

Osi, thanks again for the tip !

Frank

Comment

First off, I want to thank everyone for their assistance in helping me with this issue. Also, a special send-out to Shorty Caruso, who generously loaned me his personal copy of "Broadway Nights, Hollywood Days", so that I could clone the soundtrack. I am humbled and grateful.

Here's a recap of the process I went through:

After receiving Shorty's print, I began the steps to dub his soundtrack. First, I dubbed the soundtrack of Blackhawk's "Movies That Talk and Sing" into Audacity on my Windows 10 box, just to get the levels correct. Also, I only wanted to make one pass of Shorty's print through the projector, conscious of the fact that I desired to handle it with kid gloves. Once the trial balloon ascended without incident, I threaded up Shorty's copy, and as soon as Blackhawk's Fox Movietone copyright notice appeared, I hit Audacity's record button. Oh, I almost forgot to mention...I only captured the score from the main balance stripe.

Sidebar...
                Originally I thought it would make more sense to sync pulse two GS1200's together, but I abandoned this approach for two reasons: First, I didn't have the appropriate DIN cable, and second, I lacked the experience to do this.

After capturing the soundtrack in Audacity, I cleaned up the highs and lows slightly, then burned to output to a CD (just in case).

Now it was the hard part - re-recording Shorty's soundtrack onto my print. I threaded my print onto the same GS1200 I had used to capture Shorty's print, and hit the Audacity play button at the same film point whence the original recording was done. In both the recording and playback steps, I kept the projector's speed rheostat locked into the center 'click' position.

I expected the sync would drift, but was very happy that the sound remained in perfect sync from beginning to end. Talk about blind, dumb luck! I had already made some mental notes of where I would most likely have had to do some remedial spot recording, but that never became the case.

That's it !

There are a couple of things I noticed about my original print of "Broadway Nights, Hollywood Days". First, it was mute except for a very faint musical soundtrack...so low one could barely hear it. Also, it contained no dialogue. Second, it must have had 20-25 feet of tail to it. Could it have been an answer print? I have no idea.

So, once again thanks to all who made this project a success !

Frank

Comment

Working...
                X