That Eumig Claw pin

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• That Eumig Claw pin

Having recently bought two Eumig projectors, the super 8 only model 820 and very recently the 810DLUX, i want to see if anyone on here can help with any spares.

The 810DLUX i bought as it was advertised as a spares/repair machine for just 39.99. From what the advert stated, this particular one has only had one owner from new, it came in the original box and, it is a very very clean machine. The advert stated it ran in 18fps but not 24fps, and didn't rewind.
    My thoughts immediately turned to the cleaning of the rubber discs and perhaps a general re-lube. While this does appear to be the case, i also noted that the seller stated, "selling because i dont know anything about this projector so i cannot repair it". The seller wasn't not the original owner, i am guessing a company has got hold of it, looked at it, pulled out the gate and broke off the claw pin, clearly showing they indeed, had no idea what they were doing. Why the hell people do not read instructions and follow the simple instruction's of put the white dot to the top!

Without being able to get hold of the pin, or preferably, a new claw arm with pin the machine will be rendered useless. It will be a good play toy to try and fix up but without the necessary spare that will be difficult. Having said that, the price was well worth it for the suprogen 1:2 lens on its own which, if i cannot fix the machine, the lens will slot straight into the 820.
    Is there any service manuals around for the 800 series?
    Perhaps if i can fix it and get it working again, i "may" be able to hold up a flag for Eumig.
    Last edited by Tom Photiou; May 28, 2021, 02:54 PM.

I feel your pain Tom, a beautiful projector destroyed because someone did not read the instructions. On the other hand I do feel that Eumig should never have designed a projector that can be rendered useless by a simple lapse of memory. I have on several occasions had my hand on the rear gate plate, all ready to extract it for cleaning, and at the last moment " Oh wait a second I've got to orient the inching knob to 12 o'clock first"! It does'nt help that some of their other machines had to be oriented to 6 o'clock. If you use the 800 Eumigs on a regular basis it's probably not an issue, but If you are running other projectors, like Elmo's, it is really easy to forget this critical procedure before removing the Eumig gate.

Comment

-and here's the really weird part:

The Bolex SP-80 Special, which is really an 800 Series Eumig in a Bolex uniform, needs that dot oriented to 9 O'Clock!

Heaven forbid somebody starts out with one of these machines and then gets the other...

Comment

Even worse when the clock changes to and from Daylight Savings Time ! Or to paraphrase that great Al Jolson song
        "The Claw's gonna break its spine, this evening about a quarter to nine!"

Comment

Ive always thought the Eumig claw pin issue a bit of crazy design. Tom,at least you have that suprogon,a much better lens than the f1.3,and well worth what you paid.

Comment

You'd think that as that is the case they could have designed the mechanism to stop only when the claw was retracted. I have no idea how difficult that would be, but it would also have been essential for the MARC300 prototype to stop with the shutter closed to prevent film burn.

Comment

Tom
              Click below and scroll down to Service Manuals.
              Eumig S 810 Printed Manual (camera-manual.com)

Comment

Thank you Maurice,

Paul/Brian, It isn't the best design but these are the best of the duel gauge projectors. I did buy it exactly as it stated, as a spares/repair machine so i wasn't expecting too much. I certainly wasn't expecting it to be in such good physical condition, clearly its one owner has looked after it well. I suspect that it may be the case that sadly the owner may have past away or has had to give up the hobby some time ago. I am 100% positive that he would not have been the one who broke the pin as he bought it around the same time my Brother bought his, 1973/4. Like my Brothers, this one is an earlier model with the on/off switch at the rear which interlocks with the main rotary switch.
                Dave, again, 100% agree, one of the things on my mind when i bought it was that if i cant get it going again that lens will go straight into my sonomatic 820.
                I am ordering another claw arm with pin so this will be a project to see what i can do.
                Here is the projector in question, it even has all of its little rollers in that rear housing. Theres normaly at least one, or a half of one missing.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1744.jpg
Views:	295
Size:	88.9 KB
ID:	35283 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1748.jpg
Views:	265
Size:	60.4 KB
ID:	35284 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1747.jpg
Views:	263
Size:	71.3 KB
ID:	35285 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1745.jpg
Views:	277
Size:	72.3 KB
ID:	35286 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1746.jpg
Views:	279
Size:	105.8 KB
ID:	35287

Comment

Originally posted by Tom Photiou View Post
                  Having recently bought two Eumig projectors, the super 8 only model 820 and very recently the 810DLUX, i want to see if anyone on here can help with any spares.

Perhaps if i can fix it and get it working again, i "may" be able to hold up a flag for Eumig.
                  John White is the man for the job http://www.the8mmshedshop.co.uk/ He has the tool to replace the pin. Best to phone as I'm sure the email on the website is not in use.
                  🤔Wait until the weather is bad as John is a keen cyclist so maybe out on a 100mile warmup 😁😁😁!
                  What John doesn't know and can't do to Eumigs isn't worth knowing.

Comment

Totally agree- John White has breathed new life into most of my Eumigs.

Comment

Thank you, have now been in touch with John. Will let you know the outcome, thank you to all.

Comment

Tom,

I recently purchased a Eumig 800 series projector only to find when I tried to service it the last owner had gone overboard with super glue and resin on some of the control knobs ad I in my usual heavy handed manner managed to snap some of the controls. I have now had a serious discussion with the unit and decided to part ways with it. Would it be any good to you as a doner unit? Less sprockets Lens and gate of course. The main carcass is intact.

Nick

Comment

Thank you Nick, PM sent.

Comment

This reminds me about a similar issue for a slightly larger machine - Philips DP 70 projector.
                            Apart from being (as generally acclaimed) the best 35/70 mm projector known to mankind, there is one extreme restriction - you can ONLY open the film gate in the exact position when the shutter blade is cleared from the light path. And NEVER EVER to open unless the machine is dead stop, or you'll smashing the gate to the revolving shutter blade (and possibly damaging something else inside).

Since this is intended to be operated by a well-trained projectionist who knows what and what not to do so this should be OK. But for Eumig on the other hand...

Comment

And with domestic machines the instruction book (often the only place this is mentioned) tends to go missing or people decide that they don't need to read it.

Comment

Working...
                              X