Columbia Pictures features

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Columbia Pictures features

Following on from the discussion of Burton's Columbia feature length print of Gilda , does anyone have a list of all the Columbia feature length S8 prints?

Hoiliday Cary Grant Katherine Hepburn

Bye Bye Birdie Dick van Dyke Ann Margret

Gilda Glen ford Rita Hayworth

Jolson Story Larry Parks

Cat Ballou Lee Marvin Jane Fonda

Hoiliday Cary Grant Kathrine Hepburn

On The Waterfront Marlon Brando Eva Marie Saint

Born Free Virginia Mckenna Bill Travers

Dr Strangelove Peter Sellers George C Scott

Derann was going to bring out

Oliver

Papillon

Close Encounters Of The Third Kind Scope was brought out by Derann limited Print run but was withdrawn

The 7th Voyage of Sinbad finish in ten Hours

SUPER 8 FEATURE: The 7th Voyage Of Sinbad (1958) Ray Harryhausen Lowfade Color | eBay

First Man In The Moon Scope Derann

Comment

Also

Jason and the Argonauts Derann

I have The Jolson Story great color
      and First Man in the Moon Scope Derann Excellent color in English and German Sound Track

and I have Dr Strange Love in 16mm excellent Black and White

Comment

Kind of strange how Columbia would release some good titles and then some that few even remember.

Comment

I'm also curious to know more about the Super 8 features released by Columbia. Edward - are the ones at the top of your list, i.e. 'Holiday' to 'Dr Strangelove' all the releases that Columbia themselves were responsible for?

I've never seen a Columbia feature original box, so I'd be grateful if someone could describe one or provide a screen shot. And approximately when were they made available?

Comment

...The Question was pretty clear : What did Columbia release, Not Derann or other labs. What came out of Columbia's own production facility for Super 8 Features for home use?

Comment

Columbia Pictures Brought out Super 8 Features in 1984 I Keep the Film List for 37 years and List of Ken Mgm Full Length Features I try to take Photo of the page and post it here see how it comes out.

Comment

They had lovely box setups. I had "Cat Ballou" and it was in a blue box with separate boxes that slid in and out. I'll get a photo of it soon for you guys.

Comment

That sounds just like the box I have for Dr. Strangelove.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_4251 DS5.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	244.4 KB ID:	35379

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_4246 DS2.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	67.4 KB ID:	35380

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_4248 DS3.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	142.4 KB ID:	35378

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_4250 DS4.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	45.0 KB ID:	35381

Comment

There you go, Doug! Now I don't have to post the picture, as the only difference is the title of the film!

Comment

Doug - Thanks for the images. They must be the most sturdy Super 8 feature boxes ever made!

Edward - It's a surprise if these were released in 1984, as I'd guess the final Columbia 400' release might have been 1980?

Comment

I would think they would have been pretty late due to the warning about video tapes as well as film in the FBI warning in that box. However I don't know how quickly video (and its piracy) caught on in the USA.

Comment

Edward sent me these photos to upload.

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0587.jpeg
Views:	306
Size:	82.7 KB
ID:	35460

Name:	image_8454.jpg
Views:	289
Size:	134.0 KB
ID:	35461

Name:	DSCF0588.jpeg
Views:	297
Size:	148.7 KB
ID:	35462

Comment

Sadly, these color features suffered from having different labs do the reels for each feature. In the case of "Cat Ballou", reel 1 was Agfa, while the rest of the feature was quick fade Eastman, sadly. A shame, as this was a very sharp print.

Comment

Brian - in fact that FBI warning mentioning video also appears on the Columbia clamshell boxes for 400' releases. I can only guess when these appeared for certain releases, but I find them surprising as I don't suppose they thought Super 8 and video would co-exist for long. Perhaps they were using similar boxes for video releases and it was quite easy for the manufacturer to produce a modified Super 8 version.

Comment

Working...
                              X