Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Excellent Maurice :-)

I had another thought OH NO!!
    I wonder what ebay will do about projectors being sold using Halogen lighting and if the software will block anything which has the word Halogen in it come September?

OFF TOPIC: Police have 6 cars out in our area checking holiday makers are isolating after flying home. You couldn't write it could you and how much is that holiday costing the rest of us who didn't go outside the UK....

Comment

This video on “How to build an LED light into your projector” has inspired me to try it, although I’ve not actually done it yet: https://youtu.be/HXbLHCRWsMI

Comment

I don't think specialty halogen bulbs, such as used in projectors and microscopes, are going anywhere, particularly here in the USA where there is a general aversion to regulation of anything. The intent surely is to do away with their use in home and business lighting because of their inefficiency, and nothing else. Keep your projectors guy's!

Comment

Following on from Maurice's post, I see the Medlamps site also offers Osram A1/231 lamps. I'm sure responsible film collectors will agree that it's extremely important that medical practitioners should be supported and are not disadvantaged by shortages of any such lamp!

Comment

On Amazon.uk, we see the following:

GE A1/231 (EFP) 12V 100W Effects Lamp

High quality lamp often used in disco lighting effects.

-so there you have it, now not only is it medical, but it's also covered under "'Exemptions will be in place for lamps designed and marketed specifically for scene-lighting use in film studios, TV studios, and photographic studios, or for stage-lighting use in theatres or other entertainment events."

You start to wonder what all the applications there are of what we call "projection lamps". I buy mine for under $10 a pop: there's no way we few, proud film collectors buy enough of these to support such a low price.

Here's something:

"OSRAM EFP 64627 HLX 100W 12V MR16
            Tungsten Halogen Lamps
            An extensive line of low voltage halogen lamps. The state-of-the-art processes provide precision filament alignment making OSRAM EFP 64627 HLX 100W 12V MR16 ideal for applications that require accurate positioning, as in the medical and scientific markets. Lamps designed as HLX utilize Xenon gas in place of Krypton and provide up to 10% greater output over the life of the lamps."

(Somewhere I seem to recall that lamps like these go in the light the Dentist blinds you with too!)

Comment

I think that Paul is the voice of reason here. This won't have an immediate effect on speciality bulbs. For society, the energy gain is in the bulbs that are used on a large scale. They will be phased out more quickly by the ban (and that is a very good thing!), but even those will not disappear immediately. Existing stock can still be sold after September. So, no worries about appliances that mention halogen bulbs will be pulled or outlawed. Remember incandescent bulbs went this way some years ago. I seem to remember that we had exactly the same discussion on this forum back then (in 2012?). We can still get the exciter bulbs that we need or the bulbs for editors.
              This is a good thing and will ultimately speed up the availability of LED versions of projection bulbs. I'm sure Thomas Edison would turn around in his grave if he could realise that it took us this long to come up with a decent alternative to incandescent lighting!

- Rob

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	Led.jpg
Views:	262
Size:	19.0 KB
ID:	36073

LED Equivalent

0900766b815eee30 (1).pdf

Trade price £100 for box of 20, No comments on this lamp yet but may get some to try. There are others in the range too.

If anybody has seen one in use please let me know results?

Nick

Comment

This lamp is a 10 Watt equivalent: if they could make the optics work it would be good for an editor.

Comment

I watched that you-tube video and to be honest did not think much of it, the LED they used gave nothing more at the end, than a dull blue light, a total waste of time for actual film projection, I guess this video might be aimed at those that do film to video conversion that can color correct it afterwards.

Comment

I watched that too and think that just putting an LED replacement for a 12v 50w general lighting LED into a 16mm projector (run off the conversion transformer for the light fitting) gives a better result. They fit into an 8mm one as well, but are too dim except for watching on a 6 inch back projection screen.

Good for taking still pictures off home movies as you can project a single frame without fear of heat damage.

Comment

I only buy the LED bulbs for outdoor Christmas lights now - WHY? Because they last a long time and burn pretty bright. So that is a case where LED lighting for me works.

But when they start taking away halogen projector bulbs then they've crossed a line. Haha. C'mon Man!

Comment

Oh dear. First a shortage of bog rolls and now panic buying projector lamps...for no reason at all that I can see. READ the government release, which CLEARLY states "Exemptions will be in place for lamps designed and marketed specifically for scene-lighting use in film studios, TV studios, and photographic studios, or for stage-lighting use in theatres or other entertainment events."

Comment

Working...
                          X