Most horrible projectors of all time!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Most horrible projectors of all time!

OK, my pick. Though it was marketed as a projector, it was really a movie viewer. The notorious Bentley movie viewer ... Guaranteed to lay down a terrible scratch Everytime! It was a portable unit designed for people to watch films on the go, and ran on batteries. I don't have any pics of it, if someone could put up a photo of it, I'd appreciate it.

Here ya go Osi.....
    Click image for larger version

Name:	bentley-bx-11-super-movie-projector_1_0aa42570d1bc7bb7610c160a270e43db (1).jpg
Views:	444
Size:	23.8 KB
ID:	36208 Click image for larger version

Name:	bentley-bx-11-super-movie-projector_1_0aa42570d1bc7bb7610c160a270e43db.jpg
Views:	441
Size:	17.4 KB
ID:	36209

Comment

My pick would be the Kodak Ektasound 235 and 245. Those had a particle board case with fake vinyl woodgrain and the rest was practically all plastics. Even the sound amplifier was the size of a pea. Real junk those units were!

Comment

The Cine Royal wins this hands down for me. Still see these for sale on ebay and people actually buy them! They clearly haven't experienced one before or maybe it's just a nostalgia thing?

Comment

Gary - You took the words right out of my mouth. Can I also add the Imac. Not really fair to call them projectors....... "toys" is more appropriate.
          ( I was going to give your comments a "like." But, for the right reasons....... I DON'T like !!!!)

Comment

That made me laugh Melvin! Once used, never forgotten. 46 years and it's still etched (or should that be scratched) into my memory!

Comment

That's the monster! Thank Dave! It was actually designed to look identical to a number of black and white portable TV's that were marketed back then. Gawd, I unintentionally destroyed a print or two on that blasted machine!

Comment

My personal pick...
                - Any projector that films can't be unthread mid-run.
                - Any projector that are waaaaay too complicated that users couldn't do necessary service (such as belt replacing) themselves.
                - Any projector that uses obsolete/hard to find projection lamps.
                - Any projector that scratches films right in the first run.
                - Any projector that...

Oh wait, what I had left then?

Comment

Nantawat, you've just described the entire Eumig 800 series and later sound machines since none of those can be unthreaded midway!

From your list of requirements you are without a doubt referring to the early Eumig 700 sound machines, since they meet all those specs easily plus a lot more you didn't mention.

Sorry, but I couldn't resist a shameless plug for my favorite series of machines!
                  Last edited by Joseph Banfield; June 14, 2021, 01:21 AM.

Comment

Cinerex are pretty awful, never owned one but heard some stories of terrible scratching, Mark

Comment

I believe some UK film libraries banned owners of that and the Royale from hiring prints due to the damage done.

Comment

Wow, that is fairly damning if a film library won't allow they're prints to be run on specific projectors! I wonder how many owners of these film eaters lied on order to rent prints?!

Comment

DAMN IT MARK!......... THAT was the other one that was on the tip of my tongue when I was writing my previous entry on this subject in response to Gary. Thank you for bringing it up and reminding me / us all. I wish I had remembered it.

I knew there were three of them that I classed as "toys" (Toy Story 3 ?). They used to run using something like a 10watt car indicator bulb so you can imagine the jaw dropping brilliant image they never projected.

The company Scientific and Technical had a lot to answer for....!!

Comment

Scientific and Technical - now there's a blast from the past! I used to love their newspaper and magazine ads.

Comment

GAF projectors looked poorly made. I did have two of their low end cameras that were terrible for automatic exposure.

back in the day going through camera shops or camera departments I really loved looking at the different models in the display cases.

this particular brand never interested me to buy one.

on the other end of the spectrum I was only able to afford Bell & Howell model 1733 BZ which ran pretty darn good although they were limited

I absolutely positively marveled at the Elmo line but could never afford them until later in life. And even though now Elmo can be a problematic Machine given the age I still have no regrets.

Comment

Working...
                              X