Remembering John Black - Forum member and CineSea co-founder

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Remembering John Black - Forum member and CineSea co-founder

Click image for larger version  Name:	JB1-2021.png Views:	0 Size:	889.4 KB ID:	36224

It was ten years ago today that we lost John W. Black, a wonderful film collector, a talented musician, and a driving force behind the creation of CineSea. It’s hard for me to imagine not having this incredible gathering of film collectors that I look forward to so much, and if it was not for John and Shorty Caruso, all the camaraderie and fun that so many have experienced at 22 shows would never have taken place.

The following is an updated version of a
    remembrance I wrote the day of John's passing:

I first met John Black at the Richard Stockton Rest Area, between exits 7 and 7A of the New Jersey Turnpike. This was the agreed upon halfway point between Manhattan and John’s Clementon, New Jersey home. It was October 2008, and we were trading features for projectors. I brought 9 titles (mostly horror since John loved horror flicks, the cheesier the better) and John brought four projectors. He was incredibly personable and had an absolutely stunning encyclopedic knowledge of all things related to film collecting. We talked for hours in the parking lot, where he mentioned he was working on a book about Blackhawk Films.

On the Forum, Shorty Caruso had long been asking why we couldn’t have a film collectors convention here in the US, similar to the BFCC and Blackpool gatherings in the UK. In September of 2009, John, who had organized collectors shows in the 90s, started working with Shorty to make this happen. As a musician (John was a terrific guitarist/vocalist) he often performed in Wildwood, New Jersey. He used those connections to secure hotel and convention space and announced the first “Film Collector's Club International” show would take place on December 5th and 6th at the Bolero Resort.

While the show didn’t break any attendance records, the gathering of 8mm and 16mm dealers and collectors had such a warm, cordial atmosphere that John organized two more, changing the name (now CineSea) and the location (Ocean Holiday Resort, Wildwood Crest). The turnout increased with each show, with 8mm fans travelling from as far away as California to join in on the fun. One of my fondest memories is the night before the second CineSea when John entertained a group of us by performing 1960’s and 70’s songs near the hotel pool.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_1338.jpg Views:	0 Size:	122.0 KB ID:	36223

The fourth show was scheduled to take place on May 7th & 8th 2011, however John had to cancel for numerous reasons. He was selling his NJ house and moving to Virginia until he bought a place in Pennsylvania. He also had an extended hospital stay at this time. In his last email to me he wrote how much he was looking forward to the fall CineSea show.

John was only 54 when he passed away. He could go on forever about Blackhawk Films, but had a soft spot for the company that was their polar opposite, Atlas. John’s first ever film purchase was an Atlas Chaplin release.
    He thought Elmo projectors were overrated and always raved about the Keystone K109, saying it was the finest regular 8mm projector ever built.
    He told wonderful stories, many about his adventures from organizing those 90’s shows and dealing with the celebrities whom he had booked.
    He lit up when discussing bad films. John was so happy when he found a DVD of the 1964 cult film “Spider Baby”.

After he had passed, we hoped to have at least one more CineSea in memory of John. As we approach our 23rd event, I’m sure he would be thrilled that CineSea is still going strong. He would also be happy about this summer's Florida Film Collector Convention and November's Blackpool Film Fair....any reason for collectors to get together and enjoy this hobby is a reason to celebrate!

Click image for larger version  Name:	JB2-2021.png Views:	0 Size:	848.6 KB ID:	36225

You are greatly missed John. Thank you for all that you've done.

Photos by Claus Harding/Doug Meltzer

Hear, Hear...no finer words can be said...Thank you Douglas...Shorty

Comment

John and Shorty established something that has been a tremendous benefit to film collectors. It's so easy to be isolated in a hobby, especially in a hobby that has become almost rare. Because of CineSea, we actually have been made part of a community: flesh and blood people that get together and enjoy each other's company.

Once in a while I've had people find out that the movies I collect are on reels and the hardware I use didn't come from Best Buy three weeks ago. They say "Wow! You must be the only one left that does that!"

-and because of those two weekends a year, I get to say "Not at all!"

Comment

I did not know John Black but that was an excellent tribute. Well done. I think we all need to run a movie tonight in his memory.

I am waiting for a thunderstorm to come through and then I'm going to run part two that's entertainment
        Last edited by Chip Gelmini; June 13, 2021, 05:13 PM.

Comment

Before his passing, did John pass on his research concerning his book project on Blackhawk films? Good memorial, by the way. I bet I would have pestered him with a myriad of film questions, and he probably would have had a great answer for each and every one.

Comment

I first met John at a Chiller con through Fran Smith back in the 90's long before I started collecting film. John was doing a music project with scream queen Linnea Quigley. I don't remember the details but somehow John got her booked at the studio run by Fran which was the same place my band was recording. John invited me and my band to back her on one of the songs he had planned for Linnea so he invited us over to his home. I don't know whatever came of those songs and we never did contribute but I was there at the studio when Linnea was doing the vocals for a song John wrote called "There's a Zombie on the Beach". I would love to get a hold of a copy of that recording. Does anyone know how? John was a fun guy and a lot of laughs. I had lost touch with him for several years and then finally reconnected with him when I started to collect film. A common friend (Geoffrey) told me about the Cinesea in Wildwood and I did attend one of these with John.
            Doug, thank for this nice memorial and place for us to share our memories. John is missed!

Comment

Working...
            X