Elmo GS-1200 black lower tensioner

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Elmo GS-1200 black lower tensioner

I got several requests to fabricate the Elmo GS-1200 black lower tensioner.

I will start the production for that.

What I need is this part is as best possible condition, so that I can base the design upon that.
    I checked our warehouse, but the GS1200 there also lacks this part (used it in a repair).

If someone is able to provide me one, I will base the design upon that part.
    As a favor I will provide you this part for free.

Attached Files

Hi Edwin.
    Is this the piece you need ? If so I can get it sent off to you tomorrow.
    Steve.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG20210615123955.jpg
Views:	681
Size:	58.1 KB
ID:	36310 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG20210615124006.jpg
Views:	664
Size:	64.9 KB
ID:	36311 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG20210615124039.jpg
Views:	649
Size:	46.4 KB
ID:	36312

Comment

This is great news. As you can see the tensioner is prone to a lot of wear and causes film damage. Is it an option to replace the tensioner with a (rubber) roller ? I know that some forum members modified their machines like this and perhaps someone can elaborate.

Comment

Edwin,

I'm so glad that you're doing this. Thank you!

Comment

One word of caution here. The surface finish of this part will need to be very good, as the film is being dragged across it under a tension load, and the plastic material needs to be hard wearing with a low friction coefficient. DELRIN AF is a material that comes to mind.
          The original design shape of the part should limit contact to the edges of the film when new, but over time it will gradually wear down and the edge contact will expand into the picture area introducing potential scratch problems.
          A roller design is the best way to go as it totally eliminates all these concerns.

Comment

I have one with a roller attached. I can post a picture later today.

Comment

Look forward to the photo Alan, I myself did the same a while back, using a rubber roller from a old ST1200. It spins freely on the film when its running, works fine.

I agree with Paul a roller is the best, however I guess many collectors would not do this kind of roller mod, then a new part would be the only alternative.
              Click image for larger version  Name:	guide 8.jpg Views:	0 Size:	58.8 KB ID:	36367

Comment

Name:	roller1.jpg
Views:	598
Size:	71.4 KB
ID:	36387 Here is the one on my machine...

Comment

Be careful Edwin my friend as Paul points out it will need to have a high gloss finish to protect the film. It is the abrasive magnetic oxide stripe that wears the grooves in the first place.

Personally I prefer the roller idea mine having a Elmo chromed one in place never to wear in my life time.

Comment

I have received a the original part from Steve Lee. In very good condition. So I can work from this one. The idea of a roller instead of the original part is a good suggestion. I will dive into this soon. When I have a first design, I will post it on the forum here to hear your feedback.

Comment

Edwin,

Thank you for the update. It sounds very promising.

Steve,

Thank you for sending the part!

Comment

The replacement of the lower tensioner is a very simple job. I think if Edwin can come up with a good roller design it will be a big seller, just about every GS1200 owner is going to want to replace that scratch inducing black peg.

Comment

Paul,

I agree. Am I asking for too much if it's possible to include a spring with the tensioner when it ships?

Comment

If someone knows where to purchase this particular spring (product nr / URL), then I can include the spring as well with the new tensioner.

Comment

First design is ready. Any comments or suggestions?

For previewing the model in 3D, see: https://a360.co/3x6oRXe

Name:	PP-0261-v06-render.PNG
Views:	468
Size:	155.5 KB
ID:	37241

Comment

Working...
                              X