Super 8 the movie

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Super 8 the movie

I think this brilliant review on "Super8 the Movie" deserves to be on 8mm part of the forum, as John does talk also about the Super8 "film" that is Scope trailer as well.

enjoy .

Yes indeed its excellent and comes with a Kodak themed case which was a very nice touch. UK buyers order from Amazon.com to get the special packaging. $16

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC05417.JPG
Views:	261
Size:	95.6 KB
ID:	36375 A wonderful addition to your S8 collection and a film which catapulted revived interest to a world of new Super 8 users.

Comment

Lee

What I have made out, is that there is a difference between the one John reviews, and the Kodak look you have, is that the steel book John talks about, includes two discs. One being the 4K, the other disc is the standard blu-ray for those that don't have 4K.

What did you think of the 4K?

Here are a couple of screen shots from my Super8 Scope reel, that is the "film" trailer.

PS....Just curious, how many folk here have watched the movie?

Name:	P1140274.JPG
Views:	312
Size:	48.8 KB
ID:	36394

Name:	P1140275.JPG
Views:	278
Size:	52.2 KB
ID:	36395

Name:	P1140287.JPG
Views:	283
Size:	41.0 KB
ID:	36396

Name:	P1140291.JPG
Views:	271
Size:	52.1 KB
ID:	36397

Name:	P1140292.JPG
Views:	269
Size:	49.2 KB
ID:	36398

Last edited by Graham Ritchie; June 16, 2021, 03:14 AM.

Comment

I felt the film was OK, but it wasn't the spectacular film everybody was making it to be, but was family friendly, so that makes it OK. I mean, it's even getting hard to find kids film that aren't rated PG.

Comment

Hi Graham. A nicely authored 4K Dual Layer Disc with nice black levels, nicer colours and contrast looking very cinematic indeed. I have the original Blu-Ray and this is much better particularly with the Dolby True HD 7.1 backing the images up.
          It is essential collecting for Super 8 film makers and collectors particularly with the nicer US artwork which sit well with the Super 8mm trailer for those who have it. The film itself is full of nostalgia at times showing what we wanted to do with our 8mm sound cameras, little projectors and the enthusiasm for using film to record images.

One day we may see a nice 600ft Scope Super 8 of this which will sell very well indeed. Super 8 on Super 8 even!

(Viewed on a 4K player with 4K video projector and sound system.)

Comment

I thought it OK, but not much more memorable than that.

Comment

I watched this when it was released and thought it was just ok at the time. I watched it again in the last week on bluray on the projector, thinking that I may change my mind, but sadly I would agree with some of the comments here. If it wasn’t for the “super 8mm” component I would still label it is very average.

Comment

I just noticed that this topic has had 85 views and yet only a few replied that they have seen it. surprised so few went to see it, and not one "like" towards Johns review, after all the name of the film was "Super 8 the Movie". Looking back I think the film Makers did a good job considering nobody outside those that shoot Super 8 film, new anything about the subject matter.

Lee. I was thinking the same a couple of days ago, that a proper 600ft Scope digest would be nice.

As for the 35mm film print, its been 10 years this month since we ran it at the cinema June 2011. I did take in a Super 8 camera at the time to show the staff what Super 8 was actually about

How time passes.

Name:	m-29 (2).jpg
Views:	240
Size:	127.3 KB
ID:	36461
                Still got the DTS discs just need the 35mm print to go with it

Name:	P1190919.JPG
Views:	219
Size:	101.8 KB
ID:	36462
                Changed the movie poster for a screening later this week

Name:	P1190905.JPG
Views:	219
Size:	169.6 KB
ID:	36463
                From "Letters from Iwo Jima" to Super8

Name:	P1190914.JPG
Views:	210
Size:	183.7 KB
ID:	36464

Comment

The audience in the last image look to be enjoying it.
                  We went back to the cinema to see the film 4 times soaking up the joy of watching young people tinkering with Kodak and Eumig Cine cameras as some of us did back in el day. Keen or what!

Comment

Glad you did Lee

Yes the Eumig camera and projector, I am trying to think of the model of Eumig the projector is? any thoughts? Also note the 16mm B/H school projector as well. The Super8 camera that was actually used by the film makers not the actors I note was supplied by Pro8, I was trying to figure out what that one was.

All in all the film is a tribute to the Super 8, and to those that make there own movies on that gauge. Last night we did watch it again, even my better half enjoyed it. When I asked later, did she think it was just a kids film? her reply was, that in her view its not it was more than that.

When you look at what is involved in making Super 8 the movie, a lot of work went into producing it. One person to look out for in the film, is the car salesman, who is none other than Dan Castellaneta the voice of "Homer Simpson". In the making of, he takes to the stage to entertain the extras in the town hall, while they are getting ready to shoot. The guy is very funny when he slipped into that Homer voice, and had the extras and actors on the side line full of laughter.

I bought the sound track at the time of the films release, and received a present of the shirt and bag from a 8mm film collector and cinema owner from Australia around the same time which I must add was "really" good of him to do so.

Name:	P1190894.JPG
Views:	238
Size:	98.9 KB
ID:	36519

Name:	P1190895.JPG
Views:	216
Size:	163.2 KB
ID:	36520

Name:	P1190896.JPG
Views:	208
Size:	129.7 KB
ID:	36521

Name:	P1190897.JPG
Views:	205
Size:	129.7 KB
ID:	36522

Name:	P1190898.JPG
Size:	120.8 KB
ID:	36523

Name:	P1190899.JPG
Views:	203
Size:	240.2 KB
ID:	36524

Name:	P1190901.JPG
Views:	193
Size:	113.1 KB
ID:	36525

Name:	P1190904.JPG
Size:	99.0 KB
ID:	36526
                    One film prop that caught my eye at the time was this one, I thought.....mmmmm I am sure I still have that issue and sure enough found it

Name:	pict 57 168.jpg
Views:	204
Size:	69.3 KB
ID:	36527
                    Years ago I was thinking of dumping all those old Moviemaker, Film Making magazines, I am glad I did not follow through with it, as its still enjoyable to read through them every so often.

Name:	2015-04-05 21-47-51_0001.jpg
Views:	201
Size:	152.9 KB
ID:	36528

Comment

I was in town last week which always includes, a sort of quick visit to my favorite record and everything else store, when I saw on the second hand dvd/blu-ray shelfs this one for the grand total of only $15 dollars, the steelbook 4K and blu-ray two disc. I like the way it was presented so really had to get it '

Although I don't have 4k projection, and most likely never will, it was still nice to watch the blu-ray that came with it. I cant but help to think that even the blu-ray looked better than the earlier blu-ray release. It might be my imagination, but it appeared to have more detail in the image, it certainly looked good using the Panasonic VP projecting that particular disc the following night I got it.
                      Click image for larger version  Name:	P1310198.jpg Views:	0 Size:	114.9 KB ID:	69167
                      Click image for larger version  Name:	P1310199.jpg Views:	0 Size:	65.6 KB ID:	69168
                      Click image for larger version  Name:	P1310329.jpg Views:	0 Size:	120.6 KB ID:	69169
                      Click image for larger version  Name:	P1310339.jpg Views:	0 Size:	91.1 KB ID:	69170
                      Click image for larger version  Name:	P1310344.jpg Views:	0 Size:	163.3 KB ID:	69171

Comment

Working...
                      X