Beaulieu 708 stereo making a god awful screeching sound

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Beaulieu 708 stereo making a god awful screeching sound

Hello, I sold my 708 stereo to a forum member and Parcelforce managed to damage it (we think by dropping the parcel, even tho the projector was in a fitted metal case with tons of bubble wrap and fragile stickers (its insured but I bet they find a way to not pay out, ie wrong colour of cardboard box, ho bloody ho) Any my friend receives it , plugs it in and this awful sound is heard so much so that he immediately powered it down. On a closer inspection it is now not running at the correct speeds, 24fps is nearer 18fps, and at 18fps is literally stops. I have a video of the noise. Any thoughts on what this could be, assuming it has been dropped and jarred circuits and components, plus who can fix it???? Many thanks for your advice, stay safe all
    Attached Files

Sorry to hear about the problem with the machine. I would only send it to Bjorn of Beaulieu Sweden. Could be cost prohibitive if you include shipping back and forth but he will put it back to original specifications and he has the majority of the parts all brand new. He rebuilt my 708 HTI Stereo after it was damaged during transit much like what happened to yours. He is the best of the best. Good luck.

Comment

Hello Mark,

What a very sorry situation!

Here are a few questions concerning this unusual issue :

- Is the noise same with all slide pot to minimum (Volume, Balance, treble, bass) ?

If noise disappears, I suggest to remove bottom plate to inspect Sound Board for evidences of failure.

- I suggest to remove Back Cover to check both motors for proper installation and regulation board too.

This noise looks to be like a motor showing a sliding pulley/blet driving (check for any blockage).

This machines do not like to travel, even if packaging has been seriously managed, courier compagnies consider a package can fall down from 1 meter high without any damage due to its own weight.

Above this height, carrier is 100% responsable for any damage.

Do you have any picture of damaged parcel before opening ?

Is there any outside visible damage?

Reviewing video posted I don't see something broken at first glance on front side.

Hope you 'll get refund from insurance.

Comment

In 2008 I bought an Elmo GS-1200 from a seller in Vienna (Austria) and I had that same awful sound when first switched on.
        I have just checked the repair invoice and see the following:-

"Fitted new 100uf capacitor on PCB"

Comment

As Maurice pointed it out, if no obvious defect is observed , there was a "squeak sound" (like a mouse trapped) reported by a Beaulieu ' s owner and due to "both big caps" out of order.

All is back to normal operating upon their replacement in that case.

Let us know

Comment

Thank you Chaps, Im waiting for the recipient to return the projector, its in courier transit again (oh no!!) Could any of you kind souls provide pictures of both the 100uf capacitor and the 'BOTH BIG CAPS', so I know what I am looking for. Many , many thanks. Stay safe all.

Comment

Mark, in that case caps are not 100µf , you will need :

1) 2200µF / 63V, radial
              2) 4700µF / 63V, radial

Any brand with terminal wire will fit. (Axial "White strip" on cap cylinder localises "-" terminal).

Let us know

Comment

Working...
              X