Elmo ST-600 external speaker question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Elmo ST-600 external speaker question

Hello. Newish to these forums. I have an Elmo ST-600. I want to run the sound to an external speaker. The external speaker jack looks like a weird one that I don't recognize. Was it perhaps a proprietary jack? I was wondering if there is a way to run the sound externally using fairly standard equipment? Just curious what other people do. Thanks

Hi Aaron,

I'm guessing you are seeing a 2-pin DIN loudspeaker jack.

Click image for larger version  Name:	thumbnail_IMG_3282.jpg Views:	0 Size:	57.4 KB ID:	36676

It's an oldie but a goodie: they used to be much more common. I remember them being in stock at Radio Shack back when I was a teenager. (Yes, that old!)

You can use a regular 8 Ohm speaker, it's the connection that is the tricky part. If you have a speaker with terminals all you need to do is connect some speaker wire to the DIN plug and connect the other end at the speaker terminals.

When you plug into these jacks, the internal speaker should automatically cut off: it prevents overloading the internal amplifier.

Steve Osborne at the Reel Image (thereelimage_043@yahoo.com) can probably get you the DIN plug, after that you'll need to work out connecting the speaker to it.
    ​​

Comment

Aaron
      Here is the plug which fits the DIN socket shown above. You can wire to a suitable loud speaker of 8 ohms.

2 Pin DIN Hi-Fi Speaker Plug Cable Audio Connector PACK of 2 - Screw Connections | eBay

Comment

Comment

Mine looks similar but not exact. Will that connector work?

Comment

Yes,

They are actually the same: the plug is a pin and a blade.

My picture is from one of my Elmo ST-800s
            Last edited by Steve Klare; June 20, 2021, 04:31 PM.

Comment

Ok, great. Thank you everyone who posted replies.very much appreciated

Comment

Seeing you are in Ohio, I would check with Steve @ The REEL Image. He has both the plug you solder onto your speaker wire for $5 a piece and the DIN to Female RCA for $9.99 each.

Click image for larger version  Name:	DIN Plugs.jpg Views:	0 Size:	128.0 KB ID:	36703

Comment

-besides, if you don't know Steve Osborne already, you need to MEET Steve Osborne!

https://thereelimage.jimdofree.com/

Comment

I now often plug a bluetooth transmitter (like this one https://layen-uk.com/collections/blu...eam-wirelessly) in the aux out and then use my B&W ipod dock as an external speaker. The Layen one works well, but has a very small battery, so needs recharging after using a full evening.

Comment

Working...
                    X