Problem With Kodak Moviedeck 475 Super8/8mm

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Problem With Kodak Moviedeck 475 Super8/8mm

I bought a Kodak 475 MovieDeck 8mm/super8 projector.
    I found this projector this week- its in greater condition, lamp works, runs etc. EXCEPT the take up reel is not spinning. I removed the back and took a video of inside- the belt is moving fantastic but the gears for the take up reel and feed reel remain still. I can move the gears with my hand so it is obviously either gunk (which I cleaned with a Q-tip and rubbing alcohol) or something else...Can anyone help?? Unfortunately I cannot post a great quality video due to the compression of the facebook post- hope someone can help.

Thanks

Grace

Attached Files

Hi Grace,

The Moviedeck and I are old friends! When I was 16 years old Mom and Dad bought me one for Christmas and until I was about 40, that was my only projector.

There is a clutch between the take-up drive and the reel itself. There has to be because depending on the load of film on the reel, the effective diameter keeps changing and so must the RPM of the reel.

My long-distance guess is your clutch is not engaging at all. For better or worse, it's a problem I've never had and I can't give you too much advice on what to do.

-best of luck!
    Last edited by Steve Klare; February 10, 2020, 09:01 AM.

Comment

Welcome Grace... I have 2 MovieDecks in my collection. A fun projector if working properly...but difficult to work on if not. I do have a service manual that details some common problems and repairs. If you PM me I can provide you with a PDF version on the manual.

Comment

Hi Grace....I sent you a link to the service manual. I didn't hear back so I was wondering if you were you able to download it?

Comment

Hi Grace,
          The projector uses two friction plates that engage with cone shaped rollers. It is most probable that the cone that is on the same shaft as the shutter blades has fractured and is no longer able to transfer the drive to the friction plates or it has hardened with age and is slipping. I would have thought that most of these projectors around today will have the same problem or are getting close to failure. I am not sure if the parts are available.

Comment

Hi Neal... You are absolutely correct with your post. I PM'd Grace and suggested if it was a parts problem she should just look for another projector. Other than buying another MovieDeck for parts it's really not worth the time and expense to fix this model projector...not to mention they are a bear to work on. My two MovieDecks are still running ... at least they were last time I tested them. However if a part were to fail I wouldn't try a repair at this point.

I never heard back from Grace to see if you got the manual or what the outcome was....this happens a lot

Comment

I've emailed Grace to let her know she should check in.

Doug

Comment

Sorry! I have not been on in quite a few days and just got your email! Thanks Doug! And Than You Neal and Janice!
                I am going to go through the manual and learn the areas and try to figure it out-
                ​​​​​​—Grace

Comment

Great to hear you are still around Grace. Hope you can determine the extent of the problem with your MovieDeck.

Comment

Working...
                  X