SMPTE Test film

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SMPTE Test film

Does anyone know where i may get a length of SMPTE test film from please?

I got mine there:
    https://www.wittnercinetec.com/testfilms

Comment

Thanks Jack, having took a look, i think Wittner cine tech, as often seems to be the case, is taking the P. 234 euros for a 16.5 ft piece of test film!!!
      Invaluable though it is, its the price of a reasonably good projector. Crazy. Thank you for the reply though Jack. If i was a professional repair man making a living out repairing projectors then the price would be fine but for a one or two off use it would be ill spent cash.

Comment

Not to get off topic here, but does anyone have any details about their Super 8 countdown leader? I'd like to maybe purchase some for my current home movies. I've shot a lot of Ektachrome so I wonder if the focus would be the same or off a bit? Another words is the thickness the same or thinner in regard to the countdown leader itself?

​​​​​​https://www.wittnercinetec.com/epage.../Products/1201

Comment

I have bought this one
          https://www.wittnercinetec.com/1054-B
          approx. 113 euros (w/o VAT) for a newly manufactured PET (estar base) test film.
          For me an absolutely reasonable price.
          (… to be honest … I have obtained 2 PCS. One for now and one for the future. I store it on a very cool and dry place)

Comment

While this is half the price of the other one i have to still question how Wittners can charge this amount of money for 16.5ft of film, important as this film is, adjustments can be made by eye, not perfect, but many people have done it.
            Consider this, Dave Baker can release 600ft of film with recorded stereo sound and sell it for around $300, (approx £200-£230), also made to order. This, for me at least, shows that Wittners are taking the ****. Being an only supplier does give them the monopoly, but unfortunately, prices like this will simply put people off.

Comment

Tom

See if you can pick something up like this, I found it in a pile of old stuff and cost me nothing. I made a constant test loop splicing both ends "wurker tape" for doing adjustments.

Even an old leader that has a some constant features, made up as a test loop would most likely do. Years ago adjustment on the gate was done by running the projector without film but with the lamp on and focus in and out on the edge of the aperture plate with all four sides coming in and out of focus exactly at the same time, it usually worked.

Shane that's a interesting point, your leader I think, cant have any stripe on it, also not sure if mixing the thickness of film, being polyester or acetate leader would make a difference, it might.
              Click image for larger version

Name:	P1140521.JPG
Views:	313
Size:	63.0 KB
ID:	37542

Name:	P1140522.JPG
Views:	290
Size:	62.8 KB
ID:	37543

Name:	P1140523.JPG
Views:	293
Size:	57.5 KB
ID:	37544
              constant running test loop spliced after threading for adjustments, afterwards I carefully peeled away the tape splice

Name:	P1140524.JPG
Views:	297
Size:	106.3 KB
ID:	37545

Comment

Thanks Graham, not too sure if i wil find it but i'll keep looking.

Comment

The cost of the SMPTE test film from Wittner's is outrageous, a total rip-off, no other way to put it!

Comment

There is but i'd be kicked off here

Comment

Working...
                    X