Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why German releases are more variable than the USA/UK's

Hi,

In the 8mm scene, it seems to me that the US ' film releases (also the UK's) were less numerous than the one released in Germany. In this regard, I'm talking about the variation of title, not the quantity. If we look at the releases of Ken (who also distribute under MGM, ABC, etc.), Columbia, Universal 8, Walt Disney, their releases for modern film were limited. The exception was for Blackhawk's who released so many titles but these were old movies some of which were already in the public domain. This is when we talk about one reel version, if we discuss the multiple reels (2-3 reels) the available titles in the USA or UK were even smaller.

Now let's see the German releases, their titles were so varied, not only their local films but also foreign ones (Italy, France, Spain, Hong Kong martial arts) and the Hollywood blockbusters. Many were available on three reeler, some even have four reels. For example, the Bruce Lee movie which was so famous in the 1970s, in the USA was only available one title through Warner Bros., but in Germany there were 5 titles on respectively 4 reels. Even funnier for me, some Hollywood blockbusters weren't released in the US but they were available in Germany like the Final Countdown, Grease 2. The Tom & Jerry, Popeye, Looney Tunes, episodes were another example, there were plenty titles compared to those released by the MGM in the USA.

If we look at the price, it's even crazier. I have always found that the UFA 400 'versions were priced at DM 149, which according to currency history was equivalent to $80 back when the Ken's 400' was priced at $52. There was a $30 more expensive in Germany, but they still released it in multiple reels, which buyer need to spend extra budget.

If we go to the population which is incomparable, that of the USA was quadruple that of the West Germans (at that time they were still separated between West and East)

So how do we read this situation? Why the USA companies did not release many title as the West German counterpart?

I even found that some of the UFA releases were actually made in the USA....

Anyone?

It could have had something to do with agreements between the film companies and film labs .
    Or even buying licensing rights from the film companies .

Comment

The UFA 4x400ft titles I have (Circus World, 55 Days at Peking, El Cid) were all printed at Buck Labs in the UK.

Comment

Prices vary from one country to another, for all products. When I go to neighbooring France, I pay 0,50 € for the very same bottle of water I would pay 0,90 € in Belgium. If I go to a French pharmacy, several products will cost me half the price I would be asked in my country. On the other hand, a sandwich, an ice-cream or pastries will be more expensive in Paris than in Brussels. That's not a specificity for films.

Comment

Working...
        X