3 Stooges Columbia short subject question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 3 Stooges Columbia short subject question

Recently I came across the 400' super 8 sound release of the three stooges film "Sweet pie and pie" from 1941 in the familiar blue box. Although the picture quality is first class, one of the most iconic scenes is missing from this release, even though the box clearly states that it is the original unedited theatrical release. The scene that is missing is where Curly builds a rickety ladder from tables and chairs to reach the top bed in a three level bunk bed and then crashes through the other the other two with the statement, "I faw down!"

Looking closely at the film there are no splices anywhere in my pristine copy but what a disappointment to have such an iconic scene cut from the film.

I have a number of Columbia super 8 sound shorts and all of them are complete with no missing footage except this three stooge short.

Are there other Columbia 400' shorts that are missing footage too?

Well, it's too bad that you can't sue over false advertising, but you are right, as a general rule, the Columbia stooge shorts are top notch, image wise.

Comment

Yea, but why eliminate one of the best and most hillarious scenes from a film and still call it the original theatrical release??? I would have been much happier if they had shortened the rather boring pie throwing sequence at the end instead of cutting Curly collapsing the three tier bunk beds on both Larry and Moe. That has to be the dumbest editing fiasco of all time hands down! I've never even seen a three stooge documentary where that particular scene is not prominately show cased because it was, and remains, hillarious, which is why I bought it expecting it be present since it is supposed to be the original theatrical release, according to Columbia's marketing. And I'm pretty sure that sequence was in the theatrical release because it's certainly in every video version to date, as well as all the syndicated TV prints that I have seen through the years.
      Last edited by Joseph Banfield; July 24, 2021, 03:22 PM.

Comment

I agree! A question for anyone who happens to own this Columbia Pictures Stooge short ... I know there was a 200ft release of " Hold that Lion", and I don't think that there was a full 400ft version, so, did they include that scene when they stop in the passenger car, and find a sleeping Curly there? It's the one time that all four Stooges are onscreen.

Comment

200' has that sequence

Comment

Thanks, for letting me know about the 200' version. I'll be looking for it to splice into the 400' version!

Comment

Joseph,

I believe Shorty Caruso's post is in reference to Osi's question about Hold That Lion.

Comment

Yea, I misread it...thanks for letting me know.

Comment

Thank 4 clearing that up, Doug! BTW, is that 200ft edition a sound film?

Comment

Osi,

The Columbia 200' Hold That Lion was only released in a silent version.

Joseph,

I wonder if the 400' Uncivil Warriors has also been edited. The original short came in at 20 minutes, which is 2 minutes longer than Sweet Pie and Pie.

Comment

So, the next question would be just how many of those Columbia 400' releases are actually unedited theatrical releases like Columbia proudly stated on those blue boxes? The Andy Clyde releases I have so far are all complete, and I am a huge Andy Clyde fan. But am I going to have this same issue with other Three Stooges' shorts being edited in the best spots too? I really love those Columbia shorts because of their pristine image quality with original opening and closing credits.

Doug, I am not sure about Uncivil warriors as Sweet pie and pie is my first Three Stooge short....and maybe my last after that fantastic missing sequence, which makes the rest of the film quite uninteresting without it!
                      Last edited by Joseph Banfield; July 25, 2021, 03:19 PM.

Comment

If you were to get another one, for novelties sake, you might want to get the Derann films release of "Pardon My Backfire", which is one of two 3D stooge films, and it's on low fade stock, and is the old red blue glasses 3D, and is complete!

Comment

Osi, I remember watching "Pardon my backfire" and was really impressed with the 3D effects in that film! The other Stooge short that was shot in 3D was much less impressive, or at least the version I saw.

Having never owned a 8mm 3D film before, I would be curious to know how the light suffers when viewed through those glasses? For example, when I run 3D anaglyph movies on my digital projector I have to really crank up the brightness because those glasses cut so much light. But on a movie projector I would not have the luxury of increasing the brightness. Is this an issue when running 8mm 3D prints or have they just printed the films with increased brightness to make up for the light loss of the 3D glasses?

Comment

You can't print with increased brightness as the maximum white is clear film, that can't be increased. The Murder in 3D I have from Derann is dark, but it is all set in a dark building or outside at night.

Comment

"Backfire" is just a tad dark, but most certainly doable. It's worth the price of admission to have More sticking his fingers in your eyes!

Comment

Working...
                              X