Australian super 8 companies ...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Australian super 8 companies ...

A topic that I thought I'd start, which may not have been covered, is Australian super 8 companies. What super 8 distributors were there and, perhaps, what actual super 8 labs and actual production facilities were there, if they existed? I did buy from one super 8 company, back in the late 1980's, as I remember buying my first print of the Star Wars Part 2 scope, Ken Films, from them, for the tidy sum of Aussie 100.00 dollars, a tidy sum for back then.

This one's interesting:

https://filmsonsuper8.com/

This looks to be kind of an Australian Derann! The sad fact is this site has been up for years and I've never received a reply to my attempts to contact them.

The shipping charges from Australia are pretty steep: if I bought from them I'd probably bundle a few to save shipping costs per film. I did this on Australian Ebay once: I blew the film budget for a couple of months, but got a nice haul!

Comment

I brought a film from them Steve, it was about 20 years ago now! just rang them from NZ and posted them a bank cheque, I got the 400ft of Fox's Titanic released by Ken films,

Comment

Originally posted by Osi Osgood View Post
        ...is Australian super 8 companies. What super 8 distributors were there and, perhaps, what actual super 8 labs and actual production facilities were there, if they existed?
        I live in Australia from 1996-1998 and came in and go afterward for short periode, but I did not see any local 8mm Australian releases per se. All prints were imported from (mostly) USA and some from UK.

Indeed there was an Australian distributor as seen on the label below.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Screenshot_20210726-004731_Gallery.jpg Views:	0 Size:	78.9 KB ID:	39005

As for filmomsuper8, it had been there since 1990s and my last visit to Sydney in 2007 they were still in business but most of time they closed the door. If you street viewing, they still there but only with a small paper to inform their business. This shop is actually used to be "Home Talkie Company" another Australian distributor

Click image for larger version  Name:	Screenshot_20210726-003413_Chrome.jpg Views:	0 Size:	55.3 KB ID:	39004

That is exaxctly what I saw in 1997

The red circle on the door is a paper informing the visitor that they are Film on Super 8 selling super 8mm but the shop is closed.

Below is the link to google street view for the exact coordinates for that very shop at 510 Elizabeth St, Sydney, Australia

https://maps.app.goo.gl/BPdgjHz73cTZjcCg6

Cheers

Comment

Winbert, you are a credit to the super 8 hobby! Thank 4 the info!

Comment

Just looked at their webpage - pretty outdated as far as style etc but has many Super 8mm films on there. Shipping is supposedly included in the price. But is this a real company? There is nothing on that website that makes it EASY to purchase anything from them. Seem to be more questions than answers and no real way to contact them and ask questions.

Usually when you see this it makes you wonder how serious they are and if they really are in business or not. I would consider using PAYPAL since you have some recourse but I am unclear really how to do that.

Comment

They have a contact page but Steve says they didn't answer him, so who knows if they are still in activity ?

Comment

There was one place in Strawberry Hills, I think..forgot the name...Shorty

Comment

Originally posted by Dominique De Bast View Post
                  They have a contact page but Steve says they didn't answer him, so who knows if they are still in activity ?
                  There is this line on the web page linked to above ."2021 nearly 500 BRAND NEW colour super 8mm sound movie film titles in original boxes. " so they might still be there.

Comment

Hopefully, they are, Brian.

Comment

Strawberry Hills ... Where nothing is real ... And nothing to get up about, Strawberry Hills forever ... Couldn't resist Shorty!

Comment

I found telephone was the only way to get through to them

Comment

Working...
                        X