Preparing to treat VS-infected films with FilmGuard

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Preparing to treat VS-infected films with FilmGuard

My 16 oz. bottle of FilmGuard finally arrived, so I removed my worst-looking VS-infected film from its baking soda-filled box and it looks & smells much better. I'm now ready to clean all my films and transfer them to plastic reels in preparation for digitizing, but I have a few questions going into the next phase of this project. First, I understand the recommended approach for applying FG, but I've read that too much can cause splices to separate. I plan to re-splice where needed using Presstapes, but I expect they won't stick very well on tape ends that have been wetted with FG. What is the recommended method for cleaning excess FG off these film ends to prep for re-splicing? I certainly don't want to damage the emulsion or substrate by using the wrong substance on them.

I initially thought I'd have to use my Vernon viewer/editor to apply the FG, but I later discovered this Craig rewind on a top closet shelf in my late uncle's house (where all these vintage 8mm films came from). I had probably seen it before but didn't recognize what it was until I started delving into these forums. So, I'll be able to work with twice as much film length at a time compared to the Vernon. The action on both ends of the Craig feels smooth, but after 70 years, I'm wondering if any maintenance is called for.

Does each housing simply contain a pair of reducing gears? Is oiling or re-greasing needed? I'd hate to open it up and have springs or other small parts start flying out! That's all I can think of at the moment, but I'm sure I'll have more questions as I go along. Thanks to all for your generous assistance and valuable advice. -Harry

The FilmGuard is a great product for the films, especially for the VS films. It's slowing down the VS damage and reduce the VS smell. The FilmGuard is oily so you will have a little bit of problem with the presstapes. BUT if you clean the Filmguard treated film with 100% alcohol at the point that the presstape will stick, there is no problem! I use Filmguard to clean my films and Kodak presstapes to edit or repair them. A good idea is first to check the film for new splices and then use Filmguard. Anyway avoid to stick a presstape on fresh Filmguard.

Comment

Thanks, Antonis Galanakis, I was thinking either isopropyl alcohol or naphtha would be the best option. With film that's been in storage for 70 years, I don't think I need to worry about finding any fresh splices! I picked up a vintage Kodak Presstape Universal Splicer that came with some ancient Presstapes, but I don't plan to use those. I ordered some fresh ones for both Super8 and regular.

Comment

Working...
      X