Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

None of my Blackhawk prints got Vinegar Syndrome, strange!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• None of my Blackhawk prints got Vinegar Syndrome, strange!

In the middle of my re-inventorying my 8mm collection, as previously shared many films stored in plastic clamshell from UFA, Piccolo and MGM got strong VS resulting I have to bin them. I also found some films in plastic jewel case (transparent) also got VS, three reels in white plastic Universal (if you know what I mean) also got the same, and few reels in light cardboard as well.

Now, I have checked my Blackhawk collection, they are stored in the same place, same humid climate, same hot temperature, using the same film stock material from Kodak but none of them are with VS.

Yes, Blackhawk films are stored in thick cardboard boxes and all B/W, but some my other B/W prints in cardboard also got VS.

I am start thinking the only may differ them is the lab. AFAIK Blackhawk used different lab, I think they had their own lab.

So do you guys also think that the chemical used during printing the films may have one of the main contributor to VS?

David M. Leugers in other thread mentioned this:

Originally posted by David M. Leugers View Post
    I don't believe metal cans and reels "cause" VS. Certainly VS can exist in films stored on plastic reels inside plastic cans or cardboard boxes. It's a very bad problem, that I believe is more in the film base and development process when looking for culprits.
    I started to think about this too. What you guys' opinion.

Thanks

I've been fortunate, as well. All the Blackhawk Films I bought myself in the 70s are still in good shape. Even prints I've bought on eBay have no VS, and a few of them date back earlier than my prints. I have bought some that have orange spots on them, but that's the extent of any deterioration I've ever seen.

Comment

Labs were CAL (Calvin) in Kansas City MO and BON (Bonine), which was situated in Des Moines IA....as to the preservation treatment, there was no FilmRenew or Guard that I'm aware of...the labs simply coated them and as long as the buyer tended to them, prints would last as long as needed. Overseas, there was a conditioner known as Vaporate...still researching on that...all my Blackhawk library is still sharp in aroma and sight, naturally I clean them all on a bi-annual basis (just finished last week, took a while), temperate coolness kept and don't wind them too tight, I feel this stretches the emulsion/sprockets...As I've typed here before, baking soda powder and sheets for metal and plastic as these oxides tend to slowly corrupt celluloid, I have 13 films in metal cans...all fine...kept comfortable as a bear in winter...plastic containers, I have 3 and again, stored properly...consider anyone with an LP or paper collection...same idea, no baking soda, just archival settings and much care...well, before I digress onwards, will stop here...Cheers, Shorty

Comment

Working...
      X