Advice on weak receiving reel on Sankyo 2000-H

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Advice on weak receiving reel on Sankyo 2000-H

I found some old film in my grandfather's house and I'm working on getting a projector that I can surprise him with, as well as watch the old film and record with a camera so there's digitally saved copies. I've bought a Sankyo 2000-H to play the film as his Super8 projector doesn't work.

The Sankyo looks good except at the end of the 400ft films where the receiving reel seems to stop on occasion. When I give it a nudge, it'll start turning again.

I'm wondering if that cog on the top right has some sort of gears that are slipping, as it spins much faster than the reel does. I'd like to get some thoughts from people who know what they are doing before I pull it apart and try to see for myself.

Here's some pictures/video:
    https://photos.app.goo.gl/WVJDSHis41LEYRQC8
    https://imgur.com/gallery/J9DGzPF

Any advice is much appreciated!
    Discover the magic of the internet at Imgur, a community powered entertainment destination. Lift your spirits with funny jokes, trending memes, entertaining gifs, inspiring stories, viral videos, and so much more.

That's exactly how the slip clutch is supposed to work - to provide just enough torque to spin the full reel. Right now the slipping is probably excessive so you don't get enough power to spin the full reel.

That slotted head screw is probably for adjusting to the correct amount of torque need. This adjustment is relatively delicate however. going to the opposite direction having too much torque will "pull" the film through the gate instead of just taking up the slack. Possible film damage in the extreme case.

Comment

Originally posted by Stuart Saxby View Post
      ....I'm wondering if that cog on the top right has some sort of gears that are slipping, as it spins much faster than the reel does...
      Stuart
      As Nantawat says, it may be a simple torque adjustment of the part you describe which has a screw head on a split spring. This probably needs a slight adjustment to give just a little more tension. bur just a small amount.

Comment

Thanks for the advice, I'll give it a slight adjustment and see if that helps.

Comment

I tried to adjust but it looks like it had been tightened all the way already. I could loosen it, perhaps it had been failing over time and they'd adjusted and adjusted until there was no more capacity to increase torque.

I asked for a partial refund to go towards the repair and they agreed - there's a 8mm film store in the city that said they can take a look, and they have another 2000-H they can use for parts.

Thanks again for the help!

Comment

You are lucky Stuart to have a store close by that is willing to look at it and might have parts. My 2000H always seemed a bit weak on the receiving reel too but not to the point of needing adjustment. I just noticed that if I pulled up on the spindle attachment from the back it would turn a lot faster. I didn't know there was an adjustment screw but makes sense there is.

MY GAF had a similar problem but I believe I fixed it with loosening the screw attached to a lever with a spring that provides tension to the rubber tire that presses against the receiving reel spindle. Moving that lever just a bit made a big difference! In my case the spindle was turning TOO fast - I had to reduce the tension a bit. Good luck!

Comment

Working...
            X