• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Osram EFR lamp problems

Click image for larger version

Name:	CD289C62-5F6C-48B3-8225-61BAB139C6F5.jpeg
Views:	340
Size:	127.1 KB
ID:	40732 I have a sankyo 800 projector which uses 15v 150w lamps.I have tried it with osram lamps and they only last a couple of hours,they get dimmer and dimmer until nothing.I replaced the lamp socket with a new one and the same thing happened.I managed to get a couple of old stock hanimex lamps which seem to work longer but are not as bright.I thought it was something to do with the projector but i have just recently picked up a very little used eumig 938 which uses the same lamps.I put an osram in and after about 2 hours the same thing happened.They don’t blow they just go very dim for a little while then go out completely. The white filler around the two pins seems to breakdown (see picture).What could the problem be ?,Does anyone else have this problem with osram lamps ?.

Jason, in the old forum : 8mm Forum: Problems with 150w bulbs (film-tech.com)

Comment

Thanks dominique, i just read it.I still am not shure of the problem though as the sankyo 800 has a new lamp socket fitted and it still happens, also i checked the voltage to the lamp in the eumig 938 and its only 13.7v but it still happens after a couple of hours.The front of the dead lamps look perfect and have not blown so have no idea why they are failing.

Comment

Wow, only 13.7 v Jason? Your picture is going to be really dim, you need to be at 15v to get the rated brightness of the lamp. You can get that 15v by changing the transformer to a LOWER input voltage, but of course that is going to shorten your lamp life even further. You might want to try a different brand of EFR bulb.

Comment

Fisr thing I do with any new projector for the collection is

1/Fit a new lamp connector
          2/Fit a new lamp

If it helps I can supply a new good quality lamp connector for £4 posted UK PM if it helps you. Regards

Comment

I'm wondering if it was a bad lamp or batch of them that started and continues this problem. I had one brand that did something like this and I had to change the lamp holder.

In that case the filament wasn't properly attached to the pins and cause arcing inside the lamp and premature failure with similar effects to the filler.

Comment

If the same brand bulb acts the same in two different projectors I would guess there is a problem with the bulb itself.

Comment

I don’t believe these lamps are manufactured these days so the likelihood is that even ones purchased as ‘new’ are probably many years old and I have found that replacements that I have taken out of the box, have corrosion on the pins which has accumulated over the years of storage. If the corrosion is not removed there will be poor, or sometimes no electrical connection. If it is a poor connection then arcing is quite likely and this would account for the destruction of the ceramic insulation. I would suggest that next time you need to replace a lamp, that you take a good look at the pins and if there is corrosion simply scrape it off with a craft knife or Emery cloth. As you have replaced the lamp holder that should be ok, but corrosion can also accumulate in those too. Pushing the lamp pins in and out of the lamp holder can usually resolve that problem.

Comment

Working...
                X