I Am One Very Happy Chappy !!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I Am One Very Happy Chappy !!

I am NOT a mechanic. Opening the back of a projector scares the hell out of me. I have tried to meddle before, but learned my lessons the hard way. And if it is something to do with the electrics..... that is a NO NO full stop.

Browsing Ebay UK on Saturday afternoon, I came across and Elmo ST600M for sale. Excellent starting price. Probably too excellent. There was a chance to "Make an Offer." I looked at the description. All it said was "Projector. Like New," with a couple of pictures.

I know there is a saying that if it is too good to be true.... it usually is. But also there is instinct. It's happened to me before. I spotted a Disney Derann feature which only had a photo of the box art cover. The description was "like new." Thinking to myself that at the "Buy It Now" price they were asking, it could possibly be a 1x400' ...... except this item was never released as a 400' and the art work was certainly from the full feature. Anyway, working on my instinct, I took the gamble and it paid off big style. Sure enough, a few days later the full feature lands on my doorstep...... for a fraction of the price it was worth.

Back to last Saturday. My instinct was telling me that this may be a little gem. Priced far too low and tiny description. It just shouted that it was coming from someone not of our hobby. So, I offered a slightly higher price, and a little later it was accepted.
    Noticing the buyer only lived within a 30 minute drive, I emailed them to ask if I could collect it myself (the petrol costing far less than the postage did) the following day.

It was agreed.

So, Sunday morning I crossed the Humber Bridge to the nearby town to pick it up. I was greeted by a very nice lady. Said they have had it since new, hardly used it and had just been stored in a corner. It came with one or two extras, too!

Getting it home I was eager to test it. Turned it on....... apart from a murmur and the light working...... nothing! My heart sank. Let's take the back off and see if there was something obviously wrong.
    OH YES !...... (you probably know what I am going to say, now).......................... disintegrated belt drive and arm pulley belt. YUK! However, it seemed that the engine was turning over perfectly and, had it not been for this hiccup, looked as though it would work.

SO...... straight back on Ebay to order a new belt system. It arrived this morning and, putting my reluctance to meddle to one side, removed the remains of the last one and replaced it with the new ones which were far better quality !
    Switched it on again.....

PERFECT !

Wow ! I know it doesn't seem much of a big deal to some of you, but going out of ones comfort zone and achieving a result is a lovely feeling. It doesn't happen often, but today...... SUCCESS.

Ran a couple of films through it. Runs great at both 18 and 24, great sound, tracks 1 and 2 and 1+2 work perfectly as does the sound/silent button, frame and loop.

Finally, I have my wonderful "new" Elmo ST600M to complement my GS1200 and it really DOES look as good as new!

Yes, I am one very happy chappy !

I do love a happy ending.
    Congratulations.

Comment

Cheers mate...Shorty

Comment

Great story Melvin. It's a most satisfying feeling when you have worked a little magic and made things happen. I quite enjoy a problem with a projector, a little head scratching, grab some tools and have a go at sorting out the problem. Keeps the grey matter active and great to save another projector from the skip.
        John

Comment

Congratulations Melvin, sounds like you hit the jackpot!
          And I agree with John's comment, fixing a projector problem yourself is a great feeling, and keeping a projector running in top condition is definately one of the many joys of the hobby for me. I will always have a go myself on the mechanical problems, and some of the electrics, but I do know my limitations and usually will not tackle electronics (amplifiers etc)

Comment

I love it when this happens!

Comment

Well done Melvin, enjoy!! Mark

Comment

Congratulations Melvin! Nothing like facing your fears with a great outcome. I'm proud of you and you got an excellent running projector in return.

Comment

I love this kind of stories.

Comment

Thank you everybody for your kind remarks.

It was a very uplifting experience, one I hoped you would like to hear about, but one I won't repeat too often otherwise I will crash and burn eventually.
                    I just hope it may have inspired any non mechanically/electrically minded forum members just to take the plunge, open the back of your machine, and just see whether your problem really is that obvious and easily solved.

Comment

Well done! Nothing more rewarding than getting stuck in and bringing a nice machine back to life. Nothing more disappointing than seeing a nice projector up cycled to a bedside lamp.🙈

Comment

Melvin, this is an amazing story!
                        Thanks for sharing this with us!

Comment

Nice one Melvin. This is really an interactive, rewarding hobby. Out of interest and as I'm facing the horrible gue too, just paper towels or did you use something else to clean the old belt away. My Eumig P8 has basically tar round the pullies!

Comment

Fortunately for me, the belts, which were glorified elastic bands, had already broken off in strips one step before becoming gooey. The bits around the wheels just peeled away and were left clean, so no need for me to use any cleaning chemical.

I must say that the new belts I ordered on Ebay were FAR superior to these, I assume, original belts, so now I expect a long and happy lifetime of use with it.

Good luck with your Eumig. I am sure someone else can advise you better that I could on goo removal.

Comment

Just to nicely draw this item to its conclusion, I've now posted the photographs of the original belt prior to removal from the machine.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20210815_140646.jpg
Views:	145
Size:	47.4 KB
ID:	41209 Click image for larger version

Name:	20210815_140727.jpg
Views:	136
Size:	109.0 KB
ID:	41210 Click image for larger version

Name:	20210815_140701.jpg
Views:	139
Size:	168.5 KB