Motorized vs hand cranked rewinder, what is the good and bad

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Motorized vs hand cranked rewinder, what is the good and bad

I would like to know what is the good and bad between the motorized rewinder vs handcranked ones?

Some people may be talking about the tension on motorized one but I was imagining a motorized rewinder with a speed control where we can start from a very slow turn and can increase to medium or high speed.

Please share your views.

Thanks.

I'd say that the good thing with hand cranked rewinders is that if you are cleaning the film with a cloth you can feel any damage and stop as soon as you find it to make a repair. It would be more difficult with a motorised one.

Comment

I agree with Brian.

All the cinemas in which I worked had rewinding by hand. The approved way was to gently hold the film with thumb and forefinger of the left hand to ensure any defect or damage could be immediately detected. This I still do at home.

Only in American cinemas have I seen motorised rewinders.

Comment

Guys sorry I missed the point. Yes as you both said with a hand cranked rewinder we can check the film gently. But I was imagining a motorized rewinder with speed control to replace our hand. I mean, it can go very slow. I believe that is possible to be made as speed control has been applied in turntable/record player for many years.

Any views?

Comment

Well, if you get a motorized editor you will have motorized rewinding. I believe those units had speed control since they used simple, small DC motors on each of the arms, if that is important to you. There are many of them out there in the wild still to be had.

​​​​​​ I prefer hand rewinds personally but someone else may prefer rewinding on their projector. It's just a preference really and there is no good or bad. Or just use both motorized and hand rewinds and see what you like and decide for yourself.

​​
          Last edited by Joseph Banfield; August 22, 2021, 03:18 AM.

Comment

Working...
          X