New 8mm Projector Manufacture

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New 8mm Projector Manufacture

Is anybody manufacturing new 8 or super 8 film projectors nowadays?

I have found a company in China that has launched a Super 8 projector but it is battery operated and although fully working, is more of a toy albeit a good quaility toy.

Nick

Click image for larger version  Name:	Clip_9.jpg Views:	343 Size:	2.1 KB ID:	41323

The answer is, sadly, no. As far as I know, the last attempt to manufacture a new super 8 projector is 20 years old (www.bfcc.biz/fumeo.html), but, as often, instead of getting a massive support from the home movie community, this project attracted a lot of negative comments. Looks like people like to complain that there is nothing new and when someone tries to bring new items on the market, some people like to do anything they can to sabotage all the efforts involved

Comment

To be honest, Dominique I saw that particular projector and the kindness comment I could say was it was not very good. It was cobbled together from other projectors with a badge stuck on it and larger capacity reels. There was even a reluctance to turn the thing on and when he did it sounded like a tractor. No super 8 projector ever built was meant to run 2 hours of film non stop so you were guaranteed to have problems at some point.

It was based on the Fumeo projector which was being offered new by Derann at that time. I knew a collector who bought a Fumeo from them. It looked great but it only worked for about a month then developed problems and was returned. The 2nd replacement was sent it went the same way. Derann didn’t even want the 2nd projector returned to them that said a lot

Considering that the price tag was £2500 back in 2002 more like £5000 to £6000 or more now. You bought with no guarantee it wasn’t new , no return if not happy and it did look like a biscuit tin.

It would take a one hell of a leap of faith from any collector to buy one. To my knowledge there only was the one prototype made.

Comment

So,

What you appear to be saying is we are the guardians of 8 mm projection. We are collectively responsible for the upkeep of a finite amount of equipment in order to keep 8 mm alive.

I could agree with that.

Is it the same for 16 mm? and while we are about it 35 mm?

Nick

Click image for larger version

Name:	Cartman.jpg
Views:	662
Size:	2.1 KB
ID:	41343

Comment

I had the same question with 35mm still scanners. The Pakon was and is the best at a price. That price went too high and the source was "haven't used in in years and no film to test". All new scanners don't come close to the Pakon for image and speed. Those that are new and try are very expensive or cheap and nasty. The alternative is something that can put out quality but at a speed cost. The knowlage seems to be either lost or copyright. People probably can't see the point in cine or analogue photography in general. Sad as no boxes of old photographs and packets of film with families from the past - now! There's fun and gathering in photos and film. Just have to persuade the masses and give them quality and useability. Subscription. 3 year plan. Or just let the market discide. I know I wouldn't buy a cheap and nasty new projector. The functions of the 824 or 844 as I like to call it and as mentioned having it with the audio of the Eumig mixing projectors like the 926. Maybe a 610 too for those that just want the home family movie experience.
          Referbished used is the place to start. Projector. Wind up 8mm camera, a couple of silent presentations. An 8mm film or two with developing thrown in. Bundled / Gift idea. Bobs your uncle, the cine scene is back. 💥😊

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Newell View Post
            To be honest, Dominique I saw that particular projector and the kindness comment I could say was it was not very good. It was cobbled together from other projectors with a badge stuck on it and larger capacity reels. There was even a reluctance to turn the thing on and when he did it sounded like a tractor. No super 8 projector ever built was meant to run 2 hours of film non stop so you were guaranteed to have problems at some point.

It was based on the Fumeo projector which was being offered new by Derann at that time. I knew a collector who bought a Fumeo from them. It looked great but it only worked for about a month then developed problems and was returned. The 2nd replacement was sent it went the same way. Derann didn’t even want the 2nd projector returned to them that said a lot

Considering that the price tag was £2500 back in 2002 more like £5000 to £6000 or more now. You bought with no guarantee it wasn’t new , no return if not happy and it did look like a biscuit tin.

It would take a one hell of a leap of faith from any collector to buy one. To my knowledge there only was the one prototype made.
            Actually I believe it was based on a Fumeo telecine machine adapted to be a projector, which could have caused problems as the base machine would not have been designed for a high power lamp. All we ever saw demonstrated was a prototype made to check that it would work, but not a fully finished product. That and the size/shape is what put people off. I expressed an interest but could not confirm that I would purchase, but heard no more.

Comment

Originally posted by Nick Regan View Post
              So,

What you appear to be saying is we are the guardians of 8 mm projection. We are collectively responsible for the upkeep of a finite amount of equipment in order to keep 8 mm alive.

I could agree with that.

Is it the same for 16 mm? and while we are about it 35 mm?

Nick

Click image for larger version  Name:	Cartman.jpg Views:	0 Size:	2.1 KB ID:	41343

Considering the number of 16mm projectors in the world I would say there are enough for 2-3 life times. Same with super 8 there are loads of projectors which will be cannibalised for parts.
              Last edited by Mike Newell; August 26, 2021, 02:31 PM.

Comment

When I first read about the forthcoming Fumeo Classic 8 I was interested. A brand new Super 8 sound projector. Wow.

However, when the first reports came out my interest quickly diminished. £2495 for a projector with no amplifier or built-in speaker. (only a pre-amp).

Also, the reports were not very kind, and for me, it then turned out to be a 'no go'.

Comment

I had exactly the same reaction as Maurice - way too much money for way too little projector. Keith Wilton's test report on the ill-fated Fumeo prototype can be found on the BFCC website WWW.BFCC.BIZ. Go to the PROJECTOR ARCHIVES.

Comment

There are still so many good machines out there too. It's rare, but every so often it's even possible to find one new in box. It's worth selling a kidney to buy one of these! (C'mon! Why do you think we have two?!)

That's what makes a new-built machine costing both kidneys such a non-starter.

Comment

Nick - I think the last 16mm projectors available new were the 'last generation' of Eiki models which were in production until 2003 and available slightly beyond then. New 35mm projectors were still being installed in cinemas a few years later but I couldn't say when the last were sold.

The 'good' news is that Super 8 projectors were quite frequently bought by people who made little or no use of them! E.g. I once bought one that the owner obtained in the 1990s, due to a planned film-making project that never happened. So, if anyone seeking one keeps a look out, sooner or later they are likely to find one that's like new, or similar, albeit possibly needing new belts. One (an Elmo) was sold on this forum only a few weeks ago for a very reasonable price.

Comment

Originally posted by Adrian Winchester View Post
                        ....I think the last 16mm projectors available new were the 'last generation' of Eiki models which were in production until 2003 and available slightly beyond then......
                        That is quite possible. I have an Eiki catalogue for 1992/93 together with a price list, which although not stated, probably does include VAT.

SSL1 - £1353.80
                        SSL2 - £1404.80
                        SNT0 - £1351.30
                        SNT1 - £1387.70
                        SNT2 - £1437.60
                        SNT3 - £1785.00

Also, from 1987 to 2003, Eiki made projectors for the Bell & Howell 3500 series. They were, of course, the above Eiki projectors badged as Bell & Howell.

Comment

I saw a later Eiki price list somewhere that also included the ENT and ESL models, and it was striking how much more expensive the E models were, which helps to explain why they are so much harder to find. If any 16mm projectors were manufactured beyond the Eikis, I'd guess they were Chinese models virtually unknown elsewhere. I recall a post on a 16mm Forum from around the early 2000s, in which someone posted a link to a website with a new portable 35mm projector that he was then able to order from China for a surprisingly low price.

Comment

Adrian,

I Locate, buy, refurbish and then sell projectors, never actually throwing things away would explain why I have a cntainer full of broken projectors (or as like to call them "Donor Machines") and why my missus keeps "having a word,". Most of them come from people clearing thier grandparents houses and yes some of them can be in mint condition I totally agree but on the otherhand I have an EIKI 4000 I cannot get parts for just sitting there in its flightcase.

I was just wondering if the 8 mm / S8 format has been written off? I know Kodak have launched a new S8 camera last year but that seemed to have died a death. Can you still buy new acessories like film stripe, leader, splicing tapes etc?

I know Van Eke does a fine job on parts but life would so much easier if the manufacturers were still around.

Nick

Click image for larger version

Name:	Cartman.jpg
Views:	598
Size:	2.1 KB
ID:	41401

Comment

Originally posted by Adrian Winchester View Post
                              ....I saw a later Eiki price list somewhere that also included the ENT and ESL models, and it was striking how much more expensive the E models were, which helps to explain why they are so much harder to find....
                              I have an Eiki ESL-2 which is an electronic push button slim-line slot loader with opt/mag playback.

Comment

Working...
                              X