Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Achtung: The MARK S 710 D is now fitted with...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Achtung: The MARK S 710 D is now fitted with...

Click image for larger version

Name:	20210910_110522.jpg
Views:	294
Size:	78.3 KB
ID:	42284 ...a focusing knob!

Yep. I've bought another 710 D. It's in a bit of a state. Corrosion from damp. Mainly to the motor side. All gates and wheels present as too is the claw.

My goal is to clean it up using my previous experience with my other 710 D. As a note, this model doesn't have a focusing knob, serial 3709064. The 3 might be an 8, eyesight not too brilliant.

Missing the Type S sleeve for reel shaft but otherwise. Nope, Type S sleeve still in small reel. Looks complete.

Name:	20210910_112227.jpg
Views:	299
Size:	109.2 KB
ID:	42286

I'll let you know how things go. Also with the P8
    All good fun.
    Attached Files

If the lens focuses by rotating the barrel so much the better, it should hold focus better. It could be an earlier model than the one that instruction book was written for.

Comment

Possibly Erik and his serial number list might hold the key. The leaflet may have been added to the box at the time the focus modification was implemented. I'm guessing around the intro of the 810!
      The 610 Lux I have is in a 610 box all original but with a 610 Lux paper stuck over the 610 graphic.
      Old American weight clocks did the same label over label "trick". Not wanting to add waste or cost, just over label. I like seeing those types of iterations going on.

Comment

The 710D certainly doesn't appear to have a focussing knob. Perhaps a later addition?
        Eumig Mark S 710 D – Spare Part Finder – Van Eck Video Services (van-eck.net)

Comment

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/144148410475

The elusive 710 D with focus knob.

Comment

Ausgezeichnet Stuart! Glad to hear you have discovered one of the huge benefits of the earlier Eumig 700 series that has a screw type barrel....it stays where you put it, unlike the later sloppy focusing that Eumig used that carried over to all the later 800 machines.

Comment

„Scharfstellknopf"!
              -I'm gonna make this my word of the day!

Is it possible to transplant this focusing system over to an 800 Series? A lot of other things I see there look very similar.

Comment

My 710D, bought in 1973 I think, does have the focusing knob.

Comment

Stuart - If your expertise extends to repairing 16mm projectors, there is a fine Bell and Howell up for grabs as a freebie in Croydon if you look on Dick Budgen's thread in the 16mm section. Might be worth a look.

Comment

Melvin thanks for the challenge but I'm stickibg to 8mm and Croydon is a bit too far. Nice looker, hope it finds a home.
                    Joseph my first Super8 Eumig was a 710 D. They do have a quality about them.
                    Steve, do you know, I really don't know. I'd need to be infront of it. The lens has something like 4 grooves running round the case. Those are I think click stops for the zoom position. I think the lens focus by rotating the front of the barrel. Which I think is opposite to the 800s. Got me thinking now. So possibly where the focus knob is on a 800 a spring plunger afair is on the 700 for the groves. I'll have a looksee when I get home.
                    I'll guess at mine being pre 1973. I know I'm pre 1973!

Comment

I always found the lens adjustments on the earlier Eumigs to be a "fiddle".

Rotate the front element for focus.
                      Slide the rear element for zoom.

I found that altering one could affect the other, so now I adjust the zoom first, and then the focus.
                      Obviously, other users may have experienced similar problems which presumably led Eumig to fit a separate focus knob.

Comment

Name:	20210910_193104_HDR.jpg
Views:	280
Size:	57.4 KB
ID:	42320 Here's a Eumig 720 lens. The groves are zoom stops as Maurice mentions. Zoom steps. And as stated, rotate to focus.
                        The focus and zoom are interlinked in that some zoom stops are out of the focus range. So certain positions of zoom will not gain focus at certain distances.
                        The light is comming from the 710 D. It's running but boy is that lens stiff. Erik did a video of, I think a 712 restpration or repair. He found rusted parts on that. I too think that parts are seized on this.
                        Just to be clear, I don't have a 720, just the lens as thought it odd. Then found what it came from. So I was right, odd!
                        Attached Files

Comment

Steve, I'm not sure about doing a transplant from the 700 to 800 series, but I've always had this idea that a 800 series could be converted to accept an earlier screw type lens. Since either system uses the same lens diameter, it should be possible on a 800 machine to remove the nylon, spiral focusing wheel and modify it by cutting away the wheel and forming it into a rounded point to accept the thread of the earlier lens. It should then function as in an earlier 700 machine. The only problem I see is that the lamp cover would be in the way making it difficult to use the zoom ring without some sort of further mod to the cover. Again, this is just an idea I have had but never tried so take that for what it's worth.

Comment

Your projector was made in 1972, the 3 is indeed a 3. my own 710D begins with a 4 and is made in 1973. mine has also a focussing knob. in fact all my 700's in this style have focussing knobs. (705 and 706). My sound 75 which serial starts with a 4 is therefore younger and doesn't have a focussing knob.

Comment

In general it was the earlier LUX models that had the focus knobs removed to enable using the wide range of earlier lenses. I have some 810D LUX machines that do not have a focus knob as result and one has the f1 in. Very accurate focusing so quite a bonus for you Stuart.

Comment

Working...
                              X