Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone made a 600ft'er out of a 400ft reel?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone made a 600ft'er out of a 400ft reel?

Just received Sherlock Holmes on a 600ft reel. Didn't think too much about it till I came to give it a clean on my viewer/editor. Looked around and realised I had no 600ft spools!

At work at the min thinking about making one by just extending a 400ft with card or such like as a temp takeup spool.

I have bought another 600ft just incase. Waiting on it's arrival.

A friend of mine used to do that sometimes back in the day, even making a 1200ft reel using a 400ft reel and cutting an LP vinyl record to go around the outer and sticking it with thick paper tape. I still have it somewhere.

Comment

Wish I kept my record collection now! Certainly be a good use of some of the more questionable titles I had.

Comment

Ummm! Just made a 600ft spool out of an old Paterson 400ft that had split into it's two halfs. Tried Super Glue to stick it back together. It wasn't having any of it. Used the last of my E6000 tube. Did the trick. The Paterson has slightly sloped tops to guide the film in. I used a A4 laminater to build up the sides. Cleaned my Sherlock Holmes The Case of The Haunted Gainsborough on 8mm Sound only to reslise two things. My Eumigs don't natively support 600ft and nor do they accept 8mm spools on the takeup side!
        A quick test and it's a good sound and picture. There is a splice around the 400ft mark so I think it'll be a two parter soon.
        Click image for larger version

Name:	20210914_204354.jpg
Views:	165
Size:	41.4 KB
ID:	42555
        Darn those 600ft'ers
        Attached Files

Comment

What a novel idea! Great for storing that extra feature just lying around!

Comment

Working...
          X