How to change belts on a B&H model 253

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to change belts on a B&H model 253

Just wonder what the steps are to change belts on a Bell & Howell model 253? It looks tricky. Is there service manuals here to review?

I've actually got a couple of them myself. Not in the best of condition and not sure of the exact model, 256 or 266. Think the 56. There are a few videos on Youtube changeing belts on B&H. All different external but some share the same or similar drive. Good to check some of them out. There's always that screw that shouldn't be touched but looks like it'll aid your endeavor only to make things worse. Worth checking some vids out.

Comment

I don't think I pay enough attention. I do have a 256 but yours is s 253. Didn't really see that.
      I think the 253 has a combination of spring steel belts and rubber belts. Those should be easy'ish to get to but hopefully the spring belts will be ok. The main drive belt is trapped. You'll possibly need to remove the fan cover. Then just pass it over the fan.
      On my 256. Getting the back cover off required removing two large flat head hex screws at the back underneath the base. There maybe a screw on the back, leave that its possibly holding the transformer that stays attached to the back. There's plenty of wire to place the back next to the unit whilst changing belts.
      On the face there are a set of screws along the edge starting at the handle. Leave those and just undo each side from the top until the back comes free. Possibly two on each side by the bottom will stay on. The back is off. Just remove the fan cover and persuade the belt off. I saw no belt adjustment but was watching Grease as well
      Click image for larger version

Name:	20210915_175954.jpg
Views:	261
Size:	97.7 KB
ID:	42626
      Those are the screws that I didn't remove as seen from the back. They're probably imperial but I used 5mm precision nut driver.

Name:	20210915_180348.jpg
Views:	255
Size:	84.8 KB
ID:	42628
      Fan cover off and belt coaxed.

Name:	20210915_180422.jpg
Views:	260
Size:	94.6 KB
ID:	42630
      Hope it helps. Oh, the fan cover was held on by a 4mm or equivalent nut head screw.
      Attached Files

Comment

Thank You Stuart, but Mine you can not get the fan shield off. It is riveted on. So the main belt is trapped unless you tear down the projector. I was hoping for an easy way like the 256 has. I ordered a service manual for the 253 hopefully in the 30 pages is the correct way to change the belt. Cheers!

Comment

That's probably ok. Just stick the belt loop around a blade fin and rotate. Might just work.
          When the manual arrives you'll have the belt changed in seconds. Do share your results. Best of luck.

Comment

Manual only shows the break down of the projector. Nothing about how to change the belts. Looks like I have to remove the fan and the case to fix it.Click image for larger version  Name:	253 B&H diagram.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	107.8 KB ID:	43023

Comment

Umm. Odd spring! I can't see B&H making a meal out of belt change. Can the belt pully slide towards the fan slipping off the drive shaft leaving a gap for the belt. There's a PWR Supply transformer + Fan Assembly for Bell & Howell 8mm Film Projector 253 A on ebay in Columbus Ohio.
              https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/PWR-Suppl...-/283991223998
              I wounder if that pully disengages!
              Might need a bit of oil and a very little tap with a hard bit of plastic, butt of a good screwdriver.
              Fingers crossed. And be careful 👍

Comment

After tearing the whole insides out of the projector, I learned the easiest thing to do was to loosen the set screw for the fan and pull the shaft out enough to slip the old out and new slip the new rubber belt in of it. Then I put it all back together and seems to work just fine.

Comment

Champion

Comment

Working...
                  X