How to convert Elmo ST800/1200 Round pin power receptacle to the new style

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to convert Elmo ST800/1200 Round pin power receptacle to the new style

Does anyone have a tutorial/ parts list to do the conversion to the newer style computer power receptacle and cord? I also see some adapters here but I am not sure if any will work.

Charles

May I ask if you have the original power leads for these two Elmo models. If so, do your need such a conversion.

However, if you do not have these leads, then I suggest that part number KA-0056-AD should do the trick, but one end will need to have the black plug removed and your normal power plug attached.

Van Eck Video Services Webwinkel (van-eck.net)

Or, have I misunderstood your question?

Comment

This is the plug I need. 3 round not 2 I think they are offset.

Comment

Thank you, Charles, for the explanation.

I have a ST1200 which has a round plug inlet and I thought you were referring to this.

Elmo Sound ST-1200 Magnetic – Spare Part Finder – Van Eck Video Services (van-eck.net)
        Scroll down to see the back side of the projector and its round inlet plug.

Sorry that I cannot help any further,

Comment

This is the real thing:
          Click image for larger version  Name:	thumbnail_IMG_3423.jpg Views:	0 Size:	161.4 KB ID:	42678

It's similar to the cord you have there, but not the same thing. As a matter of fact, I've seen people shave the sides of that plug down so that it fits in the ST-800s power inlet.

This is a rare bird! To my knowledge, the ST-800 is the only movie projector that uses this one. The only reference I've ever seen to it is in this website as "Japanese Calculator" (http://madrona.ca/e/powerConn/index.html) being used in the late 1960s and early 1970s. (The website also says the pin sizes are different between this and the similar cord.)

This should be replaceable with the standard IEC style inlet. From what I've heard, you might need to slightly enlarge the mounting hole to accommodate the new one. I received an ST-800 modified this way once, and the guy who did it made a critical mistake: it's a three wire plug and he left off chassis ground. Somebody could literally get killed. If the Hot side of the AC contacted chassis with the ground connected, it would simply blow the fuse. With it missing in the same scenario, the entire case becomes line voltage, and so might the operator.

-so whoever does this work needs to understand the difference between Line, Neutral and Ground and has to reconnect them to the correct pin on the new inlet. Even confusing hot and neutral is bad: Hot has a fuse, neutral does not.

Comment

This is the standard IEC inlet plug to which Steve refers. Nearly all my many projectors have this fitted.
            RS PRO C14 Panel Mount IEC Connector Male, 10A, 250 V | RS Components (rs-online.com)
            Perhaps this could replace the existing inlet.

Comment

I have replaced the original plug with the more standard part from Digikey: Bulgin PX0579/28. This is flanged and I drilled new screw holes. Now I can use standard computer cords. I am waiting for the new lamp socket from Van Eck, the old bulb pin coroded off and is stuck in the old socket. I am going to cut the old one off and connect the new one with a terminal block.

Comment

Working...
              X