Robin Hood Prince of Thieves - a voice crying in the wilderness

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Robin Hood Prince of Thieves - a voice crying in the wilderness

An unusual heading I grant you but I appear to be the only person on the planet who feels that Alan Rickmans Sheriff spoiled the film. What you say, you varlet, you knave! Throughout the film Kevin Costner plays Robin Hood strait. That is to say a hero against a villain, as in Robin and Marian. Where is the threat of a villain playing the sheriff as though he is in a pantomime. The main villain is a bit of a clown? When the film was in production I was chafing at the bit to see Alan Rickman play the Sheriff the way he played Elliot Marston in ‘Quigley Down Under’ or in the vein of Robert Shaw in Robin & Marian. A missed opportunity.

Additionally, the extended version in my opinion is poor. I don’t like the character of the witch and she has so many extra scenes.

All that being said has Robin Hood Prince of Thieves ever appeared on Super 8. I presume a trailer was released.

I think there was a trailer. I can't ever forget the line from Robin Hood: Men in Tights" ... " Unlike other Robin Hoods, I speak with an English accent!"

Comment

The Full Feature on Super 8 was released by Andec in Germany, Not scope but I assume letter-box. It is currently available on Steve Osborne's site The Reel Image.
      Last edited by Burton Sundquist; September 21, 2021, 11:08 PM.

Comment

Hi Phil

Brand new S8 prints are available from Reel Image and what a great movie. They will of course benefit from the excellent new film stock.

Enjoy.

Comment

I have this Print since it was first released by Andec in 1992. It is one of the best Quality Prints I have in my Collection.
          But I can´t find any Andec full length feature List on Steve Osborne`s Site. Where I have to look?

Comment

I have a 16mm print of this movie which has colours and sharpness 8mm prints rarely match. The closest to it is the Disney feature releases which could sometimes be mistaken for 16mm prints.
            Alan Rickman, for me, is one of the best parts of the movie, the whole film oozes adventure, action and comedy all in the right mix.
            There isn't anything i dont like about the film, but the comedy is built in, a film about an English outlaw and his friends all played by Americans who dont even try to make themselves sound English but the film works perfectly and the cast is excellent, for me, Alan Rickman makes the movie, while i do understand some people thought he was over the top, he's meant to be.
            Alan Rickman turned the role down twice before the film makers persuaded him otherwise.
            Last edited by Tom Photiou; September 22, 2021, 02:09 PM.

Comment

Thomas, it is best to email Steve Osborne directly about The Reel Image current releases. Steve is a pleasant Gentleman who will answer all your questions.

Comment

Working...
              X