Hahnel Collmatic Splicer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hahnel Collmatic Splicer

I recently obtained this splicer and need some help.
    Does anybody know how it works?

I really need a user manual, possibly as a pdf file.
    Any help would be appreciated.

Regards

I had one of these years ago.
    You press the left hand button whilst moving the right film clamp back and forwards across the grinding wheel,which should be spinning.
    Do this just a couple of times and then repeat with the other clamp/button.
    Apply the cement and close the hinge down arm until the cement has dried.
    This gives a join that is hardly any thicker than the film itself,so its quiet through the gate.
    Just dont over do the grinding,a couple of traverses past the spinning wheel shoud do it.

Comment

David is right: a couple of traverses should suffice if the grinding wheel inside the spinning assemly is not too worn or dirty. If it is, you may want to move both clamps a little longer; as a rule of thumb, the film is ready for cementing after all the emulsion has been scraped off from the cementing area and the resulting area is matt transparent with clear and straight edges; once this requisite has been met, do not overgrind. The base side should be simply matt as you can't take away the image from that side, but the edges of the cementing area should be neat as well as the other side.

Of course film ends must be placed in a certain order: if you are splicing Super 8 than you must have the emulsion side down, both clamps raised and the sprocket must face outwards, which means during projection the film end in the right clamp is the outcoming scene and the one in the left, the incoming one.

If you are splicing Reg 8, everything is reversed, starting from the emulsion side that must be placed up.

Don't forget to have the film sprocket engage the pins in the clamps, lock them closed and trim both film ends with the guillotine lever before starting grinding.

Cementing must take place on the little relief between clamps when these are horizontal. The guillotine lever acts also as a presser during cementing but you don't have to press it just lock

Do not use too much cement; don't use old cement: in both cases you might have a delayed action leading to film warping.
      Finally this splicer can't be used with polyester based films.

Comment

Thanks to David and Maurizio for the very useful guidance.

However I have decided not to keep it, I will try to sell on eBay.

Comment

Working...
        X