Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Super 8 cameras out there that allow sycing of audio via an external device?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Super 8 cameras out there that allow sycing of audio via an external device?

Hi there

I am interested to know if there is a super 8 camera out there that has any ability to sync sound with an external device correctly. I know that sound film is now not available but is there a way to sync sound with a decent sony walkman/recorder or other device via some sort of camera sync, or maybe a camera that runs smoothly enough to keep sync.

Another thing I wondered is whether theres a way to add sound to a reel at some point, if so how is this done?

Thanks everyone!

Hi Scott,

For Super-8 lip-sync sound, you will need to hook the cam and recorder together; there are no cameras and recorders that will "run smoothly" enough to maintain critical sync to each other by themselves (this applies even if the audio device is digital; the camera will drift).

External sound is an interesting idea that was pursued by a few companies for their top camera models.
    I own the Braun Nizo Professional, which is one of the cameras that had the sync ability to a tape recorder via either a multi-pin cable outlet on the side or the flash port. I never tried it myself, but here is a link from 2012 for further reading to give you some ideas:

http://www.film.project-consultant.n...and_sync_.html

Sound striping a film after the fact is still feasible, but it will require a fair amount of effort including a film stripe unit. Some on the forum have done this, so maybe they can give you more advice in that regard.

I'm glad you brought this up; now I am tempted to test it myself :-)

Claus.

Comment

Hi guys. I actually was wondering something on a similar note myself. My camera doesn't have crystal sync. But I am shooting a music video and was going to try miming along to parts. If it was cut after say, one line, do you think it would stay pretty much insync well enough to bother doing? I am thinking say 3 or 4 seconds at a time. Just trying to think of creative ways to get around it

Comment

The best option is to find a camera with a crystal sync motor, however those tend to go for pretty high prices. The next best option is to get a Bell & Howell filmosound camera which has some sound sync abilities. There's a great video about this system worth checking out if you're curious:

Comment

The canon 1014 xls camera has a socket for external sync, this sends a pulse to the tape/receiver to give you a chance of some kind of syncronisation after the film has been shot, but the cable is quite difficult to obtain, also used with the braun syncro unit, they do come up for sale........

Comment

Thanks so much everyone. It seems the B&H filmosound might not actually really work but did any of the other companies that had a similar system manage to get better results anyone know?

Comment

Working...
            X