A New Hobby: Keystone Regal K109 Help Please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A New Hobby: Keystone Regal K109 Help Please

Several years ago, well, maybe longer than that, I inherited boxes of 8mm movies. So, I have decided to take up a new hobby and figure out how to catalog and probably digitize them.

I could use a little help or guidance on three things. (There will likely be other challenges.)

First, at some point my dad (I assume) had the very early movies transferred to new 8mm film. However, the hole in the reels where the sprocket goes are too big for the projector. The reels are 7", so there is a lot of "movie" on them. Any suggestions on how to deal with that?

Second, I am searching for a KeyStone Regal K109 manual (PDF preferably). Any suggestions where I might find one would be much appreciated.

Third, if the manual doesn't tell me how to splice film, where might I find something that gets me going?

Thanks. This is going to be a fun winter project.

Welcome to the Forum Greg!

First, at some point my dad (I assume) had the very early movies transferred to new 8mm film. However, the hole in the reels where the sprocket goes are too big for the projector. The reels are 7", so there is a lot of "movie" on them. Any suggestions on how to deal with that?
    There are 2 types of 8mm film....Standard/Regular 8 and Super 8. Std. 8mm was produced prior to 1965 and most likely your Dad's films were shot on standard 8mm film since it has the larger sprocket holes. If some of the films have smaller sprocket holes then these were shot on Super 8mm which was introduced in 1965.

Second, I am searching for a KeyStone Regal K109 manual (PDF preferably). Any suggestions where I might find one would be much appreciated.
    The K109 projector is a Standard 8mm only projector. It will not run Super 8mm film. Send me a PM and I can send you a PDF of the manual.

Third, if the manual doesn't tell me how to splice film, where might I find something that gets me going?
    The K-109 manual does not show how to splice film, but I have a couple of videos on YouTube that can get you started.

Kodak Presstapes Splicer
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7svDF_Gc8pk

Cement Splicer
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7s_kB2_C668&t

Comment

Originally posted by Greg Gurske View Post
      ......the hole in the reels where the sprocket goes are too big for the projector..............
      This sounds as if the spools are for Super 8 film.
      And, as Janice says, the Keystone K-109 is for regular/standard 8 films only.

Comment

Thank you. Its beginning to look like standard 8mm film is on a Super 8 reel. Thank again.

Comment

Working...
        X