Fantasia Disaster

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fantasia Disaster

Ever had a night when things just seem to keep going wrong, well a couple of night, ago I had been thinking of running a very full 1200ft reel of many of the excellent extracts from the film, you could say a chill out evening. After starting the projector I sat down to relax, just made myself comfortable, when the screen went dark, drat I thought, the lamp has blown. I really cant complain it had lasted a long while.

I changed the lamp again started the projector, checked the focus adjusted the sound, sat down, back to my relax chill out mode. As I was sitting there I heard a clunk, what next I ran to the projector in the projection box and found the 1200ft feed reel on the ground. I must add its really amazing how far a reel of film can travel sorted that mess out, got it going again, but thinking, how did I forget to latch that reel. got to the end of the film and thought, so much for a relaxing chillout night.

The next night I ran the same reel again, thankfully the film print was fine after its roll along the floor from the previous night. This time however everything went perfect, sometimes I think, would it have not been easier to put that silver disc on instead But one thing that stands out with the "Fantasia" Super 8 over any silver disc, is the stunning depth of color the film print has.

A good 20 years ago I did buy a Elmo 800 foot reel with some "Fantasia" extracts on it. I was so impressed at the time with the quality of the print I slowly added a few more extracts, bought from Derann. In the end apart from "Toccata and Fugue" and "The Rite Of Spring" the rest are joined in proper order. Also added, as an extra on the front is the trailer.

All in all "Fantasia" is a brilliant Super8 film to watch, to sit back. to listen, to relax, but just remember to make sure those "reels" are latched .

After screening....
    Click image for larger version  Name:	P1210091.JPG Views:	0 Size:	166.2 KB ID:	45481
    Click image for larger version  Name:	P1210093.JPG Views:	0 Size:	123.2 KB ID:	45482
    Some early screen shots of this particular print
    Click image for larger version  Name:	P1080678.JPG Views:	0 Size:	71.5 KB ID:	45483
    Click image for larger version  Name:	P1080705.JPG Views:	0 Size:	114.9 KB ID:	45484
    Click image for larger version  Name:	P1080763.JPG Views:	0 Size:	65.9 KB ID:	45485
    Click image for larger version  Name:	P1080855.JPG Views:	0 Size:	65.1 KB ID:	45486
    Click image for larger version  Name:	P1080900.JPG Views:	0 Size:	48.5 KB ID:	45487
    Click image for larger version  Name:	P1080919.JPG Views:	0 Size:	64.8 KB ID:	45488

Graham
    yes colours are fantastic, but sharpness of image is not so good. Is the actual projected image better?

Comment

For a second I thought you were referring to the 35mm print and Fantasound equipment that was reported to be at the bottom of the Atlantic after the ship carrying it to Europe was torpedoed by a U-boat. Now there was a disaster!

Comment

Hi Terry

The projected image is very sharp, it is hard to capture good stills while the film is running due to the motion of the film itself running at 24fps ,any real movement will blur the still, so I do try to take it during that split moment on the screen where things are hopefully more still, The projector was 23ft back from the screen, giving just over a 6ft wide image.

Brian I have never heard that story, can you provide a link?

I forgot to add that the sound although being mono is also very good

Comment

Sorry Graham I can't give a link as that was something I read on paper many years ago. I believe it was when the Dolby analogue version was released in the 1990's.

Comment

Still amazed, considering how just a brief two or three years before, cartoons had barely even arrived in color, and character design had changed dramatically from stick figures to realistic proportions. It was an amazing time for animation, to be sure. When other films from the same years look aged and time worn, Fantasia still looks largely fresh! Graham, is your copy of Sorcerors Apprentice taken from the WDHM release, or the long sought but slightly letterboxed Derann release? The colors are great!

Comment

Graham,

-as much as anybody I know, I'm sure you appreciate the saying "Any landing you can walk away from is a good one!". That's a fantastic sounding reel, and I'm glad it came through it OK.

I love the Fantasia extracts! I have all the Deranns except "Rite of Spring", plus some great bonus material like trailers and that spare piece of Fantasia that didn't make it into the feature "Clair de Lune".

When something really great has happened around here, one of the ways I celebrate is projecting "Pastoral Symphony": both parts united onto one 600 foot reel.

Then again on a really big evening I have Fantasia 2000, full feature!

Comment

Totally agree Steve the music and visuals go together so well, I find its one of those rare films that draws you right in where you forget all that's going on in the world.

Osi

The Sorcerer's Apprentice extract I added is WDHM this one is not to bad fade wise.
                Click image for larger version

Name:	P1080729.JPG
Views:	267
Size:	68.2 KB
ID:	45551

Name:	P1080742.JPG
Views:	248
Size:	73.1 KB
ID:	45552

Name:	P1080750.JPG
Views:	249
Size:	64.6 KB
ID:	45553

Name:	P1080812.JPG
Views:	257
Size:	54.4 KB
ID:	45554
                here are a couple more

Name:	P1080683.JPG
Views:	249
Size:	106.5 KB
ID:	45555

Name:	P1080698.JPG
Views:	250
Size:	102.3 KB
ID:	45556

Name:	P1080836.JPG
Views:	254
Size:	85.5 KB
ID:	45557

Name:	P1080856.JPG
Views:	266
Size:	62.2 KB
ID:	45558

Name:	P1080857.JPG
Views:	247
Size:	71.4 KB
ID:	45559

Comment

Great bunch of shots! Yeah, I think we've all chased after the runaway reel at some point in our collecting!

Comment

Derann very commonly had the Disney Sorcerer's Apprentice on their used lists with the warning "slight colour fade". It's true, the one I have has the blacks a very deep red, but then again I've had that reel since about 2003 and I can't say I've noticed it getting any worse.

-great reel too! One of those I'm shuffling through trying to pick something out and I say "Oh, yeah!...it's been a while." and I enjoy seeing it again.

Comment

Working...
                    X