Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sankyo lxl 250 question

Hi all

oofff ok so my super 8 camera broke and I go on a trip this Friday. I have 3 carts of 100d ektachrome and managed, last minute, to get a working lxl 250. I’m now worried it won’t shoot 100d ektachrome. I’m going abroad for the first time forever to see family and really want to film there. Can someone let me know if this will work ok and if so what do I have to do. I’m not sure whether I shoot this stuff with the filter on or off (not shot it before). Any help greatly appreciated. I also believe it only takes 4 AAs. Anyone know if it also might require a button battery for the light meter?

best

scott

Scott

1) This is rather old and takes its information from a notch on the cartridge, it takes 100ASA for daylight, and 160ASA for tungsten. When in the daylight mode there is a pinkish filter as the stocks were all for artificial light in those days. I believe there is a slot on the top for the insertion of a movie light which activates the sliding away of the filter. You may have a problem here.

2) The small cell/s for the exposure control are no longer made and the present replacements have a slightly different voltage which makes them impossible to use. You will need a separate exposure meter.

3) Yes, four AA batteries fit in the pistol grip.

4) I fear that you may have trouble with this, at one time, a simple beginners camera.

5) You can use the following link to access your camera's details.

super 8 database - copyleft (filmkorn.org)

Comment

Thanks Maurice

ok yep very simplistic camera but hopefully get me through this trip.

so weirdly I couldn’t work out how on earth to stop the filter being used but found a screen on the strap that you plug in to the top screw and that seems to do it. Am I right in thinking that if I put in 100D film here and screw the plug in and leave it in it’ll be ok to shoot like this?

inside the film cartridge it says this:

USE SUPER 8 CARTRIDGE

DAYLIGHT FILM ASS 25 100, 15, 21 DIN

TYPE A FILM ASA 40 160, 17, 23 DIN

Again for this trip it’s just 100d I am using and in daylight. Think I will be ok with the settings I mention?

As for the light meter do I manually have to change it on the camera or will it be within a tolerance if it’s bright enough? If I need to set it what should I set it to for a good daytime average? Seems to run from 1.2 - 32 and I can manually set that it seems.

best

scott

Comment

Also to add I don’t think there is a cell battery and it runs completely off of the 4 aas as I can’t find one anywhere and the light meter gauge check seems to be working. If it’s hidden somewhere I’d love to know where but it’s not anywhere I can see nor can I see anything saying it uses one. A manual for this might be very helpful huh.

Comment

[QUOTE=Scott Walker;n4.....1) Am I right in thinking that if I put in 100D film here and screw the plug in and leave it in it’ll be ok to shoot like this?
          2) As for the light meter what should I set it to for a good daytime average? Seems to run from 1.2 - 32 and I can manually set that it seems.....[/QUOTE]

1) Yes
          2) For good outdoor bright conditions, but no sun = f11. With sun, 16

Don't worry about a cell battery.

See below for manuals.
          Sankyo LXL 250 Printed Manual (camera-manual.com)

Comment

Elderly friend of mine filmed most of his adventures on one of those. You must make sure the filter is out as you will be filming with daylight film of course.
            seem to remember it has a decent 1.2 lens and wide shutter so good for lower light conditions

Comment

Thanks Maurice and Lee this is excellent to know!

Out of interest with the tri-x reversal although it can’t hit the exact iso would it work or not really?

Comment

Lee Mannering out of interest when you say filter is out do you mean that I make sure it’s off as in the yellow filter is not covering the lens as it’s not needed? Just want to check.

Comment

Lee is confirming my earlier comments.
                  He means that you must ensure that the built-in filter is not in place for your use of the 100ASA daylight reversal Ektachrome.

Comment

Maurice Leakey Thanks for confirming. This is what I thought but then I worried myself haha. Appreciate this very much.

Comment

Originally posted by Scott Walker View Post
                      ....Out of interest with the tri-x reversal although it can’t hit the exact iso would it work or not really?
                      At ASA 250 (daylight) the Kodak Tri-X is too fast for your camera to handle.

Comment

Filmed more black and white this year than anything else wanting to record the bleakness of the situation. I found TriX to have a great latitude and am shooting mine at 160asa in a Leicina Special camera and different lenses. The stock delivers a gorgeous black and shadow detail something else really.
                        Its one of those films to experiment with to suit your own eye but my camera is usually around 160.

Pop a 100d in your camera and check the exposure reading then put in a tri x and see what the camera tells you. I would try one anyway to see how it goes.
                        Above all enjoy your filming.

If your camera has light metering thru the lens TTL and you want to capture the best of clouds pop on a lightish blue filter and you will enhance the cloud depth. Old trick but looks good.

Comment

Working...
                        X