Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What can you tell me about this projector?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So I may have found a nice "minty" SM 8 for sale in the UK. However, I am wondering about the voltage requirements needed to run a 50 HZ projector in the US? The listing shows the voltage tag on the back. It reads 110-240 V 50 HZ 200 Watts. Will this work here in the US or will it run fast and overheat? Trying to find a decent SM 8, that was designed for the US, online is proving to be difficult. Were these marketed more overseas? Anyways I don't want to waste money on a machine not designed for my voltage. Then again if the difference in speed, etc is slight I'll take the plunge. Please advice!

Click image for larger version  Name:	s-l1600 (2).jpg Views:	0 Size:	112.7 KB ID:	46324

Comment

I would have thought this would be ok,but maybe a more technical member will advise.
      I do agree about prime lenses being vastly superior to zooms,so I understand your wish to use the Bolex prime you have.
      Just ask the vendor to confirm this is an SM8 with 28mm barrel.

Comment

I am looking for a (preferably fixed focal) lens for the 18-5 (so, the one with the smallest barrel). Does anyone know what lenses are available for this projector?
        And if someone has a spare one, please let me know!

- Rob

Comment

Rob,
          Are you talking 18/5 standard or super 8.?
          Bolex hi fi lenses were available in 15mm and 20mm. and a 12.5/25 for the standard 8 model, 25 mm barrel size.
          The super 8 model also had a 15mm and 20mm prime,and various zooms,these being 28mm barrel size.
          If its the standard 8 model you have,then I have a spare zoom,12.5/25 you are welcome to.
          Shane,
          Just found an old leaflet for the 18/5.
          They list two versions,one for 50 and another 60 cycles.So your uk SM8 may not work .
          Maybe another forum member will know.

Comment

Originally posted by David Roberts View Post
            Rob,
            Are you talking 18/5 standard or super 8.?
            Bolex hi fi lenses were available in 15mm and 20mm. and a 12.5/25 for the standard 8 model, 25 mm barrel size.
            The super 8 model also had a 15mm and 20mm prime,and various zooms,these being 28mm barrel size.
            If its the standard 8 model you have,then I have a spare zoom,12.5/25 you are welcome to.
            Shane,
            Just found an old leaflet for the 18/5.
            They list two versions,one for 50 and another 60 cycles.So your uk SM8 may not work .
            Maybe another forum member will know.
            Yeah I'll wait to hear what other's have to say. I'm thinking it could work with a voltage reducer, but not sure that would still provide the correct speed to the drive motor. Amazon sells these voltage reducer and also plug adapters that go from the UK plug to a US style plug.

Comment

Shane.... I would try contacting "Steve Klare", he is our US electrical expert on the forum, Steve might not be reading this topic, but he would certainly know if the different cycles will work for you in the US

Comment

Originally posted by Graham Ritchie View Post
                Shane.... I would try contacting "Steve Klare", he is our US electrical expert on the forum, Steve might not be reading this topic, but he would certainly know if the different cycles will work for you in the US
                Thanks Graham I will reach out to him! I'd rather find out now before I actually buy a machine from the UK.

Comment

Hi David, it is for the standard 8 version (the one with the 25mm barrel). I sent you a PM.

- Rob

Comment

According to this website:

https://www.filmkorn.org/super8data/.../bolex_sm8.htm

This machine has a "magnetic motor", which is what they usually say when they mean "AC Motor"

This machine was built in two versions: 50 Hz. and 60 Hz. This is bad because a single version can only do both frequencies if there is some mechanical means of compensating for the change of motor speed with a change in frequency. (for example the multiple pulley sheaves on an ST-1200 or the variable slider ranges on an Eumig 800 series.)

It sounds like each version is built for only one possible motor speed. Maybe there is a pair of gears or a pair of pulleys different between the two.

From what I'm seeing, my guess is the 50 Hz. version would do 28.8 FPS at the 24 FPS setting when plugged into 60 Hz., even after the difference in voltage was corrected.

-an old friend who knew more about Audio than me told me the human ear can be fooled inside a 5% error in pitch, as long as it stays consistent. This would be 20% high, well on the way to Munchkin Land!

Comment

Thanks Steve for chiming in, and thanks for your responses in the PM. I very well may have to wait for a 60 HZ version to show up here in the US.

Comment

No Problem!

We had the opposite problem here a few years ago: a UK member imported a Kodak M100 (60 Hz, only) and bought a stepdown transformer for it. They loved the machine, but only got up to 20 FPS when they really wanted 24.

Fixing this mismatch is possible, yet ugly. Somehow you need to generate the other guy's frequency at home. A power inverter would do the job, but finding a 50 Cycle inverter would be tough in a 60 cycle country, and vice versa. They aren't usually used for frequency conversion, just to make AC power from battery provided DC in applications like camping, boating and houses off the grid.

Comment

Hello from Greensboro NC: I have an Elmo FP-C that I like a lot, and use often for 8mm silent film. My big gripe is the lamp replacement, that can be expensive. Do you have a source for the DCA lamps that do not need a bank loan to buy? I do not consider Ebay a help for the lamp. I have had success converting another projector to MR-16. Thank you for advice and suggestions.

Comment

Originally posted by David L. Baker View Post
                            Hello from Greensboro NC: I have an Elmo FP-C that I like a lot, and use often for 8mm silent film. My big gripe is the lamp replacement, that can be expensive. Do you have a source for the DCA lamps that do not need a bank loan to buy? I do not consider Ebay a help for the lamp. I have had success converting another projector to MR-16. Thank you for advice and suggestions.
                            Hi David,
                            The Elmo FP8-C that I have uses the later EJM halogen bulb. I'm not sure on a good source for the DCA other than eBay to be honest.

Comment

Hi Shane,
                              Thank you for the info. I have a EJM lamp ( new) on hand, with a new GX5.3 generic socket. On the projector body, are predrilled holes, perhaps for OEM socket. Perhaps a forum member will suggest a source for the OEM socket? There is a large difference in lamp price, DCA to EJM. Thank you for the information

Comment

Originally posted by David L. Baker View Post
                                Hi Shane,
                                Thank you for the info. I have a EJM lamp ( new) on hand, with a new GX5.3 generic socket. On the projector body, are predrilled holes, perhaps for OEM socket. Perhaps a forum member will suggest a source for the OEM socket? There is a large difference in lamp price, DCA to EJM. Thank you for the information
                                David,
                                I was going through some boxes, etc and found 2 DCA bulbs. I must have gotten them when I purchased a parts machine a few years ago. Anyways you are welcome to have them. I'm not sure if they have been used or not, but they look to be in good condition. If your interested PM me your mailing address, and I'll send them out. Honestly I don't want anything for them, there yours to have.
                                Some years ago a seller on eBay was making a conversion socket that fits in older Elmo's, and Bell & Howell units. I have one somewhere but not sure where it's at. It allows you to use a halogen bulb. The base was made from one of the older style bulbs like a DCA. Below is a photo of the retrofit. Here's a link to the website.

http://store.tvedenlampmodules.com/P...-P3088301.aspx
                                Click image for larger version

Name:	7143870.jpg
Views:	216
Size:	69.2 KB
ID:	46483

Comment

Working...
                                X