Elmo gs1200 audio

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Elmo gs1200 audio

Having a little problem with one of my beloved GS 1200's. The audio out of channel 1 is very muffled compared to the balance stripe audio. Optical sound is fine... and when I giggle the film around the sound head it comes in and out, so I'm thinking its just a little adjustment to move the magnetic sound head to align it properly with the film. Thats just an uneducated guess... so I'm hoping someone on here knows if there's a simple fix for this problem without shipping the heavy machine to a repair shop. Please pass along any advice... Thanks! Brian

Hi Brian,

From what I've heard, re-aligning heads is usually pretty disastrous: it's hard to align them properly without the equipment and procedures the factories had when the machines were built in the first place.

What really aligns the film with the head is the presser that closes down on it. I had problems with one of mine where some debris got between the cam and the follower that operated the presser mechanism. It couldn't close completely: no contact, so no sound.

I cleared out the schmutz and the sound was fine after that.

Comment

Yes I would definitely check and clean the heads with rubbing alcohol

The other thing I would do is send it out and have it serviced perhaps the pressure head needs to be adjusted the green guide with the black roller presses down onto the film to hold it to the head it is a very tricky adjustment and should be done only by qualified trained personnel

Comment

When you giggle around do both channels play ok at the same time. If so I would say alignment is ok and may just need cleaning. Personally and with no real proof, I wouldn't send a GS for repair. I don't doubt repair it's just that many times I have had projectors packed and during packing the label has orientated the projector upside down! Basically, transport may render alignment out! Find locally a repair. That said, if packed correctly and sent via an established courier all should be fine. The next thought. The cost of repair won't add any value to the projector!

Comment

I believe for setting up the sound heads a test tone film is used

Comment

I remember when I purchased Star Trek Generations from Derann films it had no sound when played on my GS1200, so I sent it back. Derann returned it saying the sound was fine.
            Die Hard 2 I had bought earlier had really good sound on the same machine, but Star Trek Generations was bearly audible
            It was all down to the position of the sound head on that GS1200.

Both played with no problems on a Eumig.

Is it just one particular film that is giving trouble?

Comment

Brian, as Steve says, I would not mess around with the sound head positioning - it will be a nightmare and in any case its highly unlikely that is the problem. I once had rough muffled sound on one of my machines and eventually traced it to the loosening of the two screws that bolt the black block (containing the 4 pressure plungers) to the metal sliding bar of the head pressure assembly. Tightened the screws up and the sound was flawless!

Comment

Thanks for the tips... Gonna try to clean the heads this weekend and see what happens. You've all scared me away from messing with the alignment... I can see how I will end up with bigger problems! Will report back how it goes...

Comment

IT WORKED!!!!! I am so thrilled I took your advice and just cleaned the sound heads with alcohol rather than trying to realign the heads which clearly would have been a disaster. I have to say the sound is crisper than ever.... Honestly I'm a little embarrassed. Honestly, that was such an obvious things to do... and sooooo much gook came out its amazing there was any sounds at all! So happy its working and it saved me from sending the machine out for repair which would have been costly. Thanks again!!!!

Comment

Nice one, you'll have to get yourself some new content to watch now

Comment

Brian did you ever have your Exorcist prints re-recorded into English? BTW-How is your back?

Comment

Working...
                      X