Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Eumig mark 8 seized speed selector

Dear Forum,
    I have recently been given an Eumig Mark 8. It does work to a point but the speed selector switch is set to 24 and just can't be moved. I understand from the instructions it need to be plugged in, but plugged in or not it shows no sign of moving. I have not lubricated or taken anything apart as yet, but just tested it as it is. Any ideas about what it could be/ next course of action?
    Thanks.

Just a thought. Does it move from 24 to half way? If so thats correct. It's how the frequency works for 50hz 60hz. There is a physical stop. Changeing frequency would mean the slider would move to 18fps then to almost 24fps but not quite get there. It would run at the correct fps though.

Comment

I would try putting a few drops of oil on the two slides that shift the round wheel at the top of the motor and letting it penetrate for a while. No need to put the projector in forward motion to test if the speed control works. Try again and see if the speed selector will move it up and down on the slides. But be sure and use some rubbing alcohol on the drive discs as they will be splattered from the oil in an instant!

Comment

Thanks Stuart and Joseph.
        I'm not used to Eumigs at all (apart from my P8) so its a bit alien to me. I presume the switch should visually either snap in to 24 or 18, or is it variable speed, for example it can be set at a center point, for 21 fps?
        I found with no power, I can partly move the switch with one hand and the ball with the other hand though it is very stiff, along only part of the shaft. As you say some lubrication is a starting point so I will do that shortly and leave it over night, and report back at a later date.

Comment

The switch only moves about half an inch between 18 and 24 fps. It gives the impression that it could slide further but it won't. The extra space in the selector switch is needed when the machine is changed from 50 to 60 hz and vice versa via that small tab that rotates just above and centered between the rubber drive discs. When that tab is turned for either 50 or 60hz you will note that the speed selector switch will stop in a different position...now you know the reason why the selector switch has that extra space.

The speed switch should slide but there should be some stiff resistance too or it could move during projection. Yes, technically you could move the switch down slightly and get 21 fps, or any speed in between with the lower limit being 18fps.

Comment

you can safely switch the speed selector when the motor is not spinning.

Comment

I quote from Eumig's instructions:-
              Important. Before changing the running speed, always turn the main switch to "stop", and connect the projector to the mains supply. After switching the fps control, wait for a couple of minutes to allow the flywheel speed to stabilise.

Comment

I don't have a flywheel in my silent mark M, but I presume that snippet belongs to instructions for a sound machine? Even so I did loosen the ball and made the switch work better. However the machine now runs at 3fps or so. Obviously things have moved into that territory of the rubber disc surface, or the pivot of the motor, or a spring buried away that takes 6 hors of work to rectify, according to old posts I've been checking. Its just not worth it and probably put me off thinking about any other Eumigs if they use this same system (although I do enjoy my P8). My original plan was to have standard 8 sound machine, based on the experience gained from the Mark 8. Its a pity that Elmo did not make a standard 8 sound projector (as far as I know).

Comment

They are, for me at least, an unknown method of rectifying. I think I'm right in thinking that the ball must be tangential to the disks when engaged. This I think is where the front and rear bearings do the alignment. Putting the motor central in all axis to the disks. Don't give up just yet but have a look at the problem again after a stiff gin.

Comment

After my last post I packed up the machine with the intension of selling for spare parts, writing a listing and taking photos for Ebay. However I never did move any further with that, and just had this nagging feeling to give it another go. Last week I unpacked it and tested further. It did work somewhat if the Eumig was set to 60Htz and the speed switch set at 24fps, with it managing to get it up a speed around the 16fps mark. This seemed encouraging so I decide to go ahead and get some Ambersil Belt Dressing, which I think Lee may have mentioned on a separate thread. While awaiting delivery of the dressing I proceeded to clean/ re-grease/ re-lubricate the projector. The dressing arrived on Friday morning and was duly applied using a rag, though I became alarmed as the days passed that it did not seem to dry, thinking that I had applied it incorrectly and may have to remove it. However an internet search remarked that it should indeed be 'tacky' and not bone dry has I had presumed. The Eumig was given a test on Sunday evening and it shot off like a rocket! Both speeds of 18/ 24 worked well as did the reverse. So to conclude that's another machine saved from landfill and will be the main projector for standard 8 use.

Comment

A nice story with a happy ending. Very festive.

You'll need some nice new prints now

Comment

Working...
                      X