Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Storing Super 8 Sound in Metal Film Can's pros-cons?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Storing Super 8 Sound in Metal Film Can's pros-cons?

Hello All,

Years ago I was told that storing Super 8/8mm magnetic sound films (prints) in metal film cans could possibly not be good for the mag tracks. Just curious what your thoughts are on that type of storage.

I ask because someone gave me some nice new metal super 8/8mm cans that hold 800 & 1200 foot reels. I have always stored my print sin plastic cans or cases.

Thanks Ken

Hi Ken, I store some of my mag striped film in aluminium and a few metal storage cans and never had a problem . I may be wrong but I think mag film should be kept away from magnetic objects, speakers etc, which could affect the stripe.
    Hope this helps John

Comment

I would think it is the old keeping acetate film and magnetic oxide in an airtight container, especially steel. , and vinegar syndrome. If it is polyester it would be some protection against varying magnetic fields as the steel would divert them through itself. IIRC.

Comment

Originally posted by John Burgess View Post
        I may be wrong but I think mag film should be kept away from magnetic objects, speakers etc, which could affect the stripe.
        I read the same many years ago so I try to keep the speakers away from magnetic films.

Comment

Originally posted by John Burgess View Post
          ....I may be wrong but I think mag film should be kept away from magnetic objects, speakers etc, which could affect the stripe.....
          In the earlier days of magnetic tape recorders some cheaper models never really erased the sound. You could buy a "Bulk Tape Eraser". These were basically a box which contained a magnetic coil operated on mains voltage.

This was switched on (after removal of your watch!), the tape was lowered onto it and slowly revolved for a few seconds. After the tape was removed the unit could then be switched off.

Now you could put your watch back on.

Comment

Said many times; Cardboard boxes are best, more air flows in and around the print giving it a longer sustainability...metal reacts with celluloid; thus the smell becomes more apparent...never place plastic reels within the confines of a metal can, chemical reaction will occur in time...anyways, using my baking soda formula helps decrease any VS by degrees...Cheers, Shorty

Comment

I guess if you don't allow your cans to become magnetized, they should be OK, unless the cans are around too much moisture, and then they can be a bigger to open up!

Comment

7.3 CANS & BOXES
                The film should be stored in clean archival plastic, archivally treated metal cans, or new archival cardboard boxes. It is important that the can or box is not airtight, and should not be sealed unless stored in freezer. A closed can is fine, and will not be airtight. However, a can that is taped shut is not fine. Cold storage is the best for the chemical stability of the film and is discussed in the following sections. Films should be stored tails-out so you will have to rewind them before projecting. You should always inspect the film before projecting.

The cans should be stored flat (horizontally), with nothing heavy stacked on top that would weigh down the lids and not allow air to circulate into the cans. It is acceptable to stack the cans on each other, but store nitrate cans only 2 high.
                Source: http://www.filmforever.org/

Comment

Thank you everyone for all the information you have supplied. It is very helpful. Like all of us, just don't want any of our prints stored incorrectly and have anything happen to them. Love this hobby and we must keep it going

Comment

Working...
                  X